Getting back into draft power

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Horses Getting back into draft power

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Canadian Horse
    Participant

I am not new to draft power but it has been a few years, and some of the hitching I want to do is different than what I did on Pop’s farm. I have a “new” “team” that we have had home for 2 1/2 weeks. They need some training and a refresher too. The old mare, Victoria, is a 14 yr old Canadian, and her Daughter, Secret is a 9 year old half Thorobred. Victoria has been driven single and double, and was considered a trail horse for riding. Her previous owner said she was green broke to ride but I think she is beyond that. She has done some logging hitched to a fore cart single. Secret has only been long lined around the yard (not recently) and has a lot of riding training and is quieter under saddle than Victoria. The catch is they were at training last for 5 months during the winter of 09-10 and haven’t been used much since. I have done some ground work (longing) with them both, and I have log lined Victoria around the place , and she longes fine on the lines too. I am impressed with her driving, and think she is ready to hook. My Pop passed in 98 and most of my draft work stopped when he was sick in 97. I am not familiar with hitching single. I bought their harnesses with them, but they were not setup for single driving, but I should have the straps to do so.
    I know we need to take it slow and I have because they were a little spooky when they first came here.
    Does anyone live near Plattsburg NY that could help us? Or does anyone have suggestions on reading material to refresh my training? Thanks in advance.

dominiquer60

Great to hear that you are getting back into it. I could comment more to your questions, but no time at the moment. Fortunately You live near a great teamster, Chad Vogel, you can contact him via this link, http://www.reberrockfarm.com/forest-management-and-draft-wood.html. He is a great guy, excellent horseman and forest manager, if he has time to help you, jump on the opportunity, he can get you going again safely and with confidence. We can give you advice here, but there is nothing like an on the ground mentor.

Take it slow and listen to your horses, know where their comfort zone is and go out of it a little at the time to build confidence and trust.

Best wishes,

Erika

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by dominiquer60.
    Canadian Horse
    Participant

Thanks Erika I will try Chad after a few more weeks of ground work.

Regards,

Matt

dominiquer60

Sounds good, but don’t be afraid to contact him ahead of time, as logging weather returns, there is no telling how busy he will be. 🙂

Erika

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.