Getting Loose Hay into the barn

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tender Soles
    Participant

Hi all,

We just moved onto and are leasing a farm with an old dairy barn with a big hay mow. It has a trolley system with a sling. Anyone familiar with this system? I’m also wondering if you could switch the sling out for a claw. I’m hoping to put up our hay loose with the horses this year and can pitch it, but would love to be able to use the trolley system to save some time and shoulders.

There is also a weighted door system using cables that opens and closes the door at the top when you aren’t loading hay. I will try to get pictures up, but don’t have them yet.

Any advice or references for more information would help. I’ve been reading Lynn Miller’s “Haying with Horses” book, but have only just dove into it.

Thanks,
    Rich

Rivendell Farm
    Participant

Hi,
    Years ago we put up loose hay with slings. I wouldn’t bother changing to the grappling hooks if you have the slings. I’ve only done it with slings, but suspect you can pull up more hay at a time with them. It takes some experience to know when to add a sling to the load so they all end up about the same weight. Four slings work for a big load of hay. On the other hand, I see no reason you couldn’t use the hooks with your hay car setup. Chances are you’ll need a new big rope, and it is very important to get it the right diameter, or the catch mechanism won’t work. Have fun. Bob

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Rich, Do you know David Fisher? he is in central Mass. and just finishing a new barn that will handle loose hay with a trolley. He might be a good person to reference if you are anywhere close to him. Google natural roots farm.

Tender Soles
    Participant

Bob, thanks for the advice! I’ve been trying to figure out a good place to get rope the right size. The pulleys aren’t very accessible right now and birds have cemented the trolley onto the rail with their nest. Thanks for the heads up on the rope either way.

Would you happen to know of anywhere that may still make slings? There’s one on the trolley which I haven’t taken a good look at again because it’s cemented to the rail, but once I get a look at it, I may have a better idea of what to look for and how easy it is to fabricate a few. I suppose I’d also have to find the release hooks at the bottom of the sling too.

Donn, I have met David. I’ve only seen his old barn, but I did watch that video of the new one being put up in “a minute.” I will give him a call and pick his brain. Thanks.

Rivendell Farm
    Participant

We found an Amish farm family that made ropes from baler twine that were whatever diameter and length we wanted. It seems like it was an inch or slightly larger. It takes a lot of rope, and you don’t want to get one a little too short. You could fabricate your own slings as long as you had something to copy. The release mechanism is critical, and is something you’d have to find at an auction, in an old barn, or on the internet. Bob

cowboy013
    Participant

I’ve seen a few homemade blacksmith trips that looked pretty simple, I don’t have a picture, but may be able to get one before haying season. A piece of 5/8 rod was fashioned with two eyes in each end about 6″ long one end would attach to your trolley, the other end had a piece of 5/8 rod with an eye attached to the bottom of your six inch double eyed piece. This other rod was straight on the end which the release side of your sling was run through. This piece was maybe seven inches long, and once it was run through the sling it folded up and a flat piece of iron dropped over the top of it. The flat iron hinged on the top eye of the six inch rod, a hole in its centre went over the seven inch rod and a small hole on the outside was for your trip rope that pulled the flat iron up and released the seven inch rod. I hope that makes sense. Seemed pretty simple to me, but maybe your setup wouldn’t fit that sort of thing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.