Getting ready to plant spring oats

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Working with Draft Animals Getting ready to plant spring oats

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Billy Foster
    Participant

Our plan has been to plant Oats and Field Peas this spring, Turnips, Vetch and Winter Rye towards the end of the summer, this will be used as supplemental forage for lambs. last year we got the idea to use horses for the work. that was when I started asking this great community (DAP) questions about horses and ponies and ended up buying a couple Haflingers in December. As some of you know I spent the winter working with them and learning with them, I was green to driving in December as well. We have so far to go to have the working relationship I desire but I have to say I am so happy to think about where we have gotten. Starting 5 months ago with a “green broke” 4yo (Arnie) and hard mouthed hard driving 8yo (Tank) I knew nothing more than what I had read in a couple books. I would say they are hardly a team but in less than 5 months I am able to spend a few hours in the seat getting some real work done, pretty dam cool!

Here are some more pictures of Arnie and Tank discing and some of the repairs I mard to the disc before hand.
    http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj521/wayworn3/Discing%202012/

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.