Getting Started

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Horses Getting Started

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Plowboy
    Participant

Carl posted a nice picture of a colt he started a few years ago. There is much ado about training nowadays since most folks don’t have enough steady work to train a colt. We have found in our experiences when we only raise one or two colts at a time and handle them daily it is so easy. They learn to lead, tie, go along with a team to the field and get desensitized to noise and motion of equipment all the while not being aloud to exhibit any bad behaviors. When they get old enough to drive it is almost an effortless transition into the workforce. You can focus on teaching line driving and voice commands instead of working out undesireable behavior. Some folks prefer to stare them down at 3 or 4 in a roundpen and pretend they can read their mind. I’m not saying that a roundpen wouldn’t be usefull but given the choice raising them at home or trying to settle down 1800#s of fury and fear I’ll take raising them up even though it takes more time and more money but at least you know what you’ve got.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Plowboy – I couldn’t agree more. It may not be a solution for those that are just starting out. But I do think it is the best way to replace your own stock. It maybe even more important with a mule. Donn

Plowboy
    Participant

I’ve often wondered if there would be so much difficulty with a mule if you raised them and trained them with their mother and just went to work. I understand their thought process is different but if they were comfortable I can’t see why they wouldn’t go right to work if they were handled alot. Maybe we’ll try someday but right now we’ve got enough equines. The trouble around here is finding good Mammoth Jackstock. Some of them are a sorry lot with sickle legs, bad pasterns, and an enormous head. In Biggle’s Horse Book they say to raise good mules you need good mares and good heavy built Jacks with good feet and legs and I believe it.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

The jack that we used died last year and we thought he was pretty good. You are right, there are not very many in this area. The Amish near Romulus, (can’t remember the name) had a couple but they were both too small, and as a result the mules were small. You really want to be close to 1000#. Another problem is many jacks are kept for breeding only, which is OK as far as it goes, but it makes it difficult to judge some of the qualities of the animal. I tell my wife, “You will know I am a rich man when I have a barn with jacks and mares”. Donn

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.