Go Devil ( logging sled )

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Go Devil ( logging sled )

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ll put up some close up pitures hope it helps. The reason I first started using these sleds was as a kid fence stakes and poles were all my father would let me cut. The vids are all taken on a large wood lot that is level with little or no rocks. However most of NS is a hilly rock pile. Our wood lot growing up was no exception and it was near imposible to yard poles with out them hooking behind the rocks on the flat going. Then trying to get down the hills coker chains were always slipping off. Go devil solved both problems. They will bounce, rattle and skreech through any rock pile a horse or team can crawl over. Later I skidded with a pair and used go devils with a pair quite a bit. For almost a decade,didn’t use the at all. Had log loaders and I sold the sleds to an other horse logger. It’s only been in the last two years that we have gone back to using them to haul to the forwarder again. For two reasons 1) Short wood that is too small to skidd. Go devil is faster.
    2) If the haul distance is too long be productive a horse can haul about twice as much on a go devil as aposed to ground skidding.

Tim I’v never had a go devil sink into the ground enough to cause rutting but I’m sure it could happen.However the horses will be up to thier pasterns in mud before the sled is a problem. I find the sled tracks behind the horse better than a stone boat on side hills. The Main reason we use these sled over a boat is they a very light. Any one fit enough to work in the woods can pick them up, in the snow a kid can drag it to the pile. This is a large avantage because we use them in pairs. One is with the man cutting, he piles the wood on the sled or fells the largest tree on the sled, wile the horse is hauling the previous load to the landing. If the cutter needs help loading bigger 8 footers on the sled on returing the teamster helps load. Logs the horse loads by pulling them up a skid. Some times we will roll logs on but not very often. The vid was taken after some wood was stump or trail piled at the end of friday after the horses when’t home for the weekend. We try to stay away from piling then repiling on the sleds beacause it just seems to be a extra step which could be advoided with some planning. Hope some of this helps and makes some sense.

Cheers Tristan

jac
    Participant

Thanks for posting these pictures Tristan.. will be having a go at welding one of these up.. btw i liked your comment “up to their pasterns”…. for Scotland read……. “up to their hocks “!!!! haha … John

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

The pictures are great! Thanks for posting them. I have a go-devil built back in the ’40’s that I use and really like it. It is much narrower than yours. I also got from somewhere some pictures of one that has a swivel bunk on top and have wanted to try that on mine. The swedes attach a chain to the bottom of their stakes with a toggle so that you don’t loose them in the snow when loading or unlaoding. Sometimes on a turn it will flip and I assume that is due to the width. Really like the idea of two in the woods for the other fella to load. Again thanks. Love the unloading turn.

Scott G
    Participant

Citation: Reprinted with permission from Gregg Caudell’s Horselogger’s Manual, p.47

Gregg got back to me and was more than willing to share. He refers to it as a bob but it looks like a classic go-devil to me. Just a difference in terminology. What it does lack, as compared to Tristan’s, are bunk stakes. Tristan mentioned he used it alot when he was younger for getting poles and fence stakes out in enough volume per turn to keep things efficient & cost effective. Post & poles are the main product I log when I’m going for product, and not service work, because its about the only profitable and marketable material around here currently, given all the bug-kill. Not to mention, harvesting & twitching lodgepole pine for post & pole material, using a single, is by far my most enjoyable & relaxing time in the woods with a horse. Currently, I normally skid 16’s & 24’s (sometimes tree-length) to the main trail/roadside and process them into 8′ & 16′ there. Having the ability to forward directly from the stump, in rough terrain, a greater volume already processed, especially of the smaller diameters, would definitely be a plus.

Gregg’s application is the more traditional (that I’m aware of) use of a go-devil, just getting the butt end of a single large log of the ground. One of the most interesting things about it is how he binds it to the side of the log, cross hitches, and pulls it upright. I saw that maneuver on his video, pretty cool.

Baystatetom
    Participant

Thanks again Tristan, I passed on the bits about curling up the back edge of the runner and putting some sort of grippers onto the stake for loading to my welder. I should have it in a few days, can’t wait to go try it out!
    ~Tom

Carl Russell

I was at the sugar house today, and was staring blankly out the door at my old scrap iron (gold mine) pile, when I remembered this old car frame I secured years ago for the purpose of making a Go-devil…. but never did. After Tristan‘s recent videos I’ve gotten thinking again. I’ll have to weld on a few pieces for bunk and for hitching yoke, but I think it will work as a base to start from.

424447_3446455246546_1425617324_3291931_997637191_n.jpg

Carl

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Tristan:

I like the bent tubing on the front of the go-devil. I imagine that serves as your bumper -preventing your sled getting hung up? How did you get that nice consistent bend?

George

dominiquer60

I can see how designs like these would track straighter than a stoneboat. Hummm….. I can also see how a tool like this would be great to use with a young pair of steers not just a single horse.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Does’ Leap 33368 wrote:

Tristan:

I like the bent tubing on the front of the go-devil. I imagine that serves as your bumper -preventing your sled getting hung up? How did you get that nice consistent bend?

George

Yes the front serves as a deflector or bumper. Not alot of rock out croppings where we are working right now but most wood lots here are quite rocky and have whats called pit and mound conditions. The curved front alows the go devil to bounce off obstructions. The last one I bent in a friends wood spilter that he built a pipe bender for.

Yes George I think they would be perfect for oxen.

Tristan

Baystatetom
    Participant

My welder friend called today (he usually builds fire escapes in big brick buildings) and said my new go-devil is ready. He says he got a little carried away and should charge $1,000 for the labor, but he was excited to show it to me. He wants to deliver it to my job so he can see it in use. I have to say I can’t wait either. I can’t seem to get pictures up here anymore so I’ll post a youtube vid.
    ~Tom

Baystatetom
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU-FoTUmofQ&feature=youtu.be

I called a friend to come help me with a few bigger logs, this is his team of shorthorns trying out my new go devil. It is a little heavy but it should also be tough enough to drop trees on or to flip it up sideways chain on the log and pull back over. My welder friend did a awesome job. He put a removable stake on the front with a few hooks for chokers, hardhat etc. and a piece of pipe to hold a peavy. The bunk may be a little far back but I have not used it enough to decide if it is a real draw back or not. I also think I may be able to cob job a pole on there for winter. I can’t get photos to upload so I’ll take a better up close video of it tomorrow. What a great day in the woods! Warm weather, new toys and the help of someone way better then me.
    ~Tom

Anonymous
    Inactive

Very nice Tom. Can’t wait to see some more videos of your team working. Some guys around here use what they call a boom pole. Its just a pole that drags instead of a chain.The pole has a key hole for the choker chain. I bet that would work for holding the sled back in the winter. Next time I see one I’ll be sure to take some pictures. It may be called some thing else when used with oxen.

Tristan

Baystatetom
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HUq3mHSOZo&feature=youtu.be
    a little better one. Go to the Facebook Group Everything Oxen to see a bunch of pictures
    Tom

Kevin Cunningham
    Participant

Tom,

That is a nice looking piece. I like the stakes that pull out and I now get how you use them for ramps, with the angled bit on top. Everything looks well constructed. You mentioned that you wish the bunk was a bit too far back. After using it fir a while now how do you feel about the placement?

Baystatetom
    Participant

I think the bunk is okay now that I have used it a few days. Honestly it is built heavy enough that I wonder if the advantage having the log off the ground is slightly negated by the weight of the thing. However my team is still young and as they get bigger and stronger that extra bit of weight should not be a factor. Summertime ground conditions would also be better for a arch, so I am not using it under perfect conditions. I am already dreaming up ways to home build a arch!
    ~Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.