Good Forestry in the Granite State

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Public Policy/Political Activism Good Forestry in the Granite State

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

http://goodforestry.pbworks.com/FrontPage

This document is now being prepared & is in review period until December 1, 2009. It is a cornerstone document for forest policy in NH. See home page excerpts below:

“Project Overview and Web Site Use

Good Forestry in the Granite State documents best management practices for sustainable forestry. Originally published in 1997, it is time to revise it. Revisions to Good Forestry in the Granite State will consider new scholarship and address issues raised by natural resource professionals, landowners and the public. This web site has the tools to manage all aspects of the project including public input, writing, editing, and communicating by committee members.
    Learn About This Project

The purpose of the project is to update Good Forestry in the Granite State: Recommended Voluntary Forest Management Practices for New Hampshire (GFGS), a 200 page working field book documenting best management practices for the practice of sustainable forestry in New Hampshire. GFGS came about because of the widely recognized need in the mid-1990’s to develop a comprehensive guide to sustainable forest management in New Hampshire. Today it serves as an on the ground field guide for forestry professionals engaged in what is a $3 billion a year economy in New Hampshire”

Of particular interest to those who support Animal powered logging is the section “Harvesting Systems – Choosing the Right System”(http://goodforestry.pbworks.com/Draft-Harvesting-Systems%3A-Choosing-the-Right-System) It does not recognize Draft Animal extraxtion methods as practical & almost discourages their use. I have responded with an email & suggested re-write to kristina.ferrare@unh.edu who seems to be the overall wheel.

Thought this might be of interest.

Mark

john plowden
    Participant

I don’t know about you but I’ve seen really deep ruts from machines – Seems like more studies need to be done –
    John

Rick Alger
    Participant

Thanks Mark. I sent her an email also and invited her to visit my current job. She wont see any ruts.

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

The new version of Good Forestry in the Granite State is out.
    Here is a link:
    http://extension.unh.edu/goodforestry/index.htm

It won’t let me copy out of the .pdf version. Check out pp. 56-59.
    Mark

jwayne972
    Participant

Other Skidding Systems

Horses, oxen and mules can be used to skid trees, though logging with animals is slow and not common. Operators need training and care to ensure the safety of the animals as well as the logger. Draft animal loggers have the option of drawing stems and loads on the ground or raising them with an arch, sled or forwarder. Stems or logs are often bunched on the ground by a single animal and then forwarded by a team on an arch, sled or forwarder to minimize ground disturbance and residual stand damage. Draft animal logging creates narrow skid trails and may be a feasible system for removing small volumes of high-value trees from visually sensitive areas.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.