grain drill widths/power

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment grain drill widths/power

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ethalernull
    Participant

Hi All,

There is a nice 10ft oliver grain drill on steel for sale near me. I have a team of belgians and mostly flat ground, some fields with moderate pitch. Is this too wide to use with just two horses to seed about 2 acres at a time?

Thanks,
    Evan

back-forty
    Participant

I use a 6 ft grain drill to plant about 20 acres per year and would not go any bigger than that with a team.

ethalernull
    Participant

do you use a drop spreader/have thoughts about the same details…width/power/convenience of 10ft spreader?

back-forty
    Participant

The 6foot Van Brunt drill that I use is a single disc opener model on steel wheels and I do have hills on my farm. I also have a custom made 4foot grain drill with the grass seeder that I will pull a old 44inch brillion type cultipacker behind and this combination pulls a little harder than the 6 foot drill alone and is great plenty for my team.
    The 4 foot drill was made from a 8foot model that had the rope activated clutch lift mechanism while the 6 foot is a manual lever lift, two levers for each half of the drill. I really like the mechanical lift option but the manual model has easier and better tongue angle adjustment and the levers allow for easy adjustment on the depth of planting.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.