Grain Drill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Marshall
    Participant

Hello all! I have a McCormick Deering grain drill with wood wheels that has the pawls inside to drive the main shaft. I am putting new pawls in and was wondering if I should grease them or if the grease would collect more dust and make them wear faster? I appreciate any help. Thanks

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Well it is going to collect dust with or without the grease so it won’t hurt to have some heavy grease there. You could just put some low sling bar oil on it before use if it is a heavily loaded part and that would lube it some without much build up.

Was there any signs that it had been greased before?

Marshall
    Participant

Yes, there is some old crusty grease in there, but it was full of dirt and the old pawls were wore pretty bad.

Up North Louie
    Participant

Small wonder– your drill is at least 80 years old 🙂 Grease it.

My neighbor used one of those McCormick drills until he died. They are beautiful pieces. And they work well. He didn’t replace it because he didn’t need to.

Don

Marshall
    Participant

I plan on using it this spring to plant some oats. My ponies arn’t big enough to pull it that long, but I have an amish friend that is going to bring over his belgians. I am really looking forward to it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.