Grain for training

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eli
    Participant

I’m bringing my horse to be trained by an Amish man in the deal I have to bring the feed he said I should bring some grain. The problem is I have never fed grain to my horse before just good grass hay and mineral. He said she I should feed oats and a little corn and mineral how much and what mix he didn’t say. He said she will be working at least 4 hrs a day, any ideas on a ratio of corn to oats or should I buy a pre mix? Thanks. Eli

Jonathan Shively
    Participant

Eli, share your concerns with him. Tell him you don’t know what to buy. If anything, offer to buy what he feeds. Your horse might not need grain at home, when he goes to work at the farm, he’ll need it for his muscles. Depending on the amount of work you give him, he might not need grain again at home.

carl ny
    Participant

If I was just going to mix 1 or 2 hundred I would do this:

100# oats
    10# corn
    1# vitamin/mineral pack

Here’s my mix that my son and I use for a 1000# batch:

638# oats
    200# alfalfa pellets
    100# soybean meal
    50# corn
    12# vitamin/mineral pack

HTH…

carl ny

Eli
    Participant

Thank you carl ny that is exactly what I was looking for I don’t think we will need to feed much as she won’t be doing heavy tillage just a lot of miles. I will have to adjust her feed when I get her home. Do you roll it, grind it or feed it whole? Thanks. Eli

carl ny
    Participant

Whole..I only have two horses left,one is an Appaloosa,and a half draft that looks like a 15.3 hand Belgian. My son has two Brabants,three Belgian/Percheron crosses,three riding horses,and one pony.We feed them all that mix.We feed according to how much they are worked. HTH

carl ny

PS; feel free two use that mix if you want,we don’t have a patent on it.LOL

Eli
    Participant

That will be the the next thing with a patient. My horse is a American Bashcur Curly about 15.2 hands and 1250 lbs easy keeper. Pretty easy going. I have another curly a little bigger that is trained that I hope make a team with. And 1 Morgan, 1 Appaloosa, 1 Paint. Almost forgot 1 curly filly a week old out of the bigger trained mare. Eli

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.