Grazing Schedule for Veggie Horses

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Horses Grazing Schedule for Veggie Horses

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Kayan
    Participant

Hi all,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond with such detail and insight. Apologies for taking as long as I have to respond–it’s that time thing again! I agree with Carl that there’s a way of thinking about this that I’m still learning. Building the system around the horses will likely be a lot more successful than trying to fit the horses to the system. We are using many of the strategies you’ve outlined and experimenting. We’ve begun leaving the horses out at night and feeding a light lunch of hay during the day. So far this has helped a lot, especially during this heat.

Thanks so much again. I’ll update again when we’ve digested some of our work.

Jesse

Jay
    Participant

I echo Jesse’s appreciation of all the comments and descriptions of what each of you do. Even though we may often think we know what others do, it is so helpful to see/read the thinking behind what is done stated- helps with perspective. Thanks to all for writing and also to all who may not have written, but just for being there….. Jay

near horse
    Participant

I would just like to add that sometimes when we look at draft animals only as an alternative power source we want to “plug them in” where we used to use a tractor (or whatever their “replacing”). But, as I felt Carl was pointing out, they’re more than just the “replacements” and as such require a broader perspective on the overall system (your farm). Feeding, whether it’s hay or grazing/moving fences is more than just a chore taking up time that could/should be spent on other work. It really is harvesting the fuel and refueling the power source that makes your operation work and that’s not considering the added interaction/contact time spent with your animals.

If you read any of the grazing lit, especially the MIG stuff, moving fences IS the farming AND getting best use out of that forage is paramount. We need to think along those lines when we’re putting our teams out to graze ……. we’re still farming then.

Hope this didn’t sound like a preachy rant because I didn’t mean it that way. Now to go move some fence!

Carl Russell

Amen, Brother Geoff…. 😯

Tender Soles
    Participant

I second that Geoff. Moving horse pasture can seem time-consuming, but holistically it is just a part of the system. I don’t see any power source more efficient than one that harvests its own energy while you sleep! The pasture set up also gives me time to look at the forage they are getting and gives me an idea of how to manage the pasture better long-term.

Also a good change of pace and another time to observe your horses and their health. I’ve noticed that when it’s really buggy, they often self-medicate with plantain (if there is any) to help with the itching along with a good roll.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.