Greetings from NE Washington State!

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Introductions Greetings from NE Washington State!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Wamoo
    Participant

Hello Everybody!

My name is Stacy, and my wife and I have a small farm near Bluecreek, WA (located in the beautiful Colville Valley of Stevens County). We don’t have any draft animals yet, as I am active duty in the U.S. Coast Guard. I have seven years left in the USCG, at which time I will become a full time farmer (I’m just getting my “off-farm job” out of the way early). We bought the land two years ago, and we’ve just been building it up as we can, with the plan to have it all built and paid off by the time I retire.

The land is in hay right now, but the eventual goal is to have a small producer-handler dairy (a dairy farm that also processes their own milk). Myself, my Dad, and my Grandfather were all milk haulers in Eastern Washington. I really enjoy dairying, and even though I’m in the military, I’ve managed to stay active in dairying. Right now I’m milking once a week on a small organic dairy that ships to Organic Valley.

We plan to use draft horses on our dairy, and have thus managed to acquire a 1941 McCormick-Deering No. 9 high-gear mower (needs work) and a 194something(?) John Deere Combination Raker Bar-Cylinder Hay Loader (also needs work!) Since I don’t have horses yet, I also have a 1956 Farmall Cub (runs like a champ!) that I use for mowing along our driveway and other general weed annihilation duties.

I always kinda had an interest in draft horses… I have photos of two of my great-grandfathers, both standing proudly with their teams. I like the Suffolk-Punch breed. I have a friend in Virginia who has a small dairy and also a Suffolk-Punch team. Visiting him sealed the deal. In the meantime, I’m just trying to learn everything I can, and meet people who have the knowledge I someday hope to have!

Cheers!
    Stacy
    P.S. check out my farm’s website at: http://bluecreekdairy.com/

Ethan Tapper
    Participant

Well Stacy, welcome!

Glad to hear that you have big plans with draft animals, and some good equipment to start with. It’s good to see folks from the Western US on the forum. Browse the forum to find helpful resources and meet the great resources that the members of our community are.

Also, you should know that this website is maintained by the Draft Animal Power Network (DAPNet), a non profit organization that also runs events, puts out quarterly print newsletters (and e-newsletteers) and connects people and organizations that are interested in draft animal power. To check us out visit our resource website at draftanimalpowernetwork.org (or click the ‘draft animal network’ button at the top of the screen) and you see about what we are doing and how to get involved in our organization through becoming a member, donor, volunteer, etc.

We’re glad to have you. Welcome to the network!

Ethan Tapper
    Secretary, the Draft Animal Power Network (DAPNet)

menageriehill
    Participant

Welcome Stacy and family. Once longago my dad was stationed at Oak Harbor in Washington state. I now live in Arkansas. I love this site. I am glad that you too found it. Now enjoy and receive a wealth of information.

Big Horses
    Participant

Welcome Stacy! That’s beautiful country you’re moving to! Not that awful far from us here in NW MT. I spent 9 years over in WA around the B’ham and Burlington area as well. You’ll enjoy it here and there’s lots of great info!
    John

dominiquer60

Great to have more West Coast friends, welcome. Is the Virginia friend with the diary Randy? If so I met him in February, great guy! If not I am sure that they are great purely for having draft animals anyway.

Welcome to the forum.

Wamoo
    Participant

@dominiquer60 35256 wrote:

Is the Virginia friend with the diary Randy?

Yes, Randy is my friend. He is a great guy. I made a YouTube video about his dairy. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJIsrLyPqFg This was before he had draft horses though. I also made a video about the Southern Draft Animal Days too. See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn4KAuzbwtk

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.