Ground drive cart

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Roscoe
    Participant

I got a rear axle of a 3/4 ton truck for making a forecart. To keep it simple I would like to use just a pulley on the PTO shaft and one on the axle and a idler wheel as clutch/tensioner. Has anybody done that? Any concerns?
    The cart will be used for light jobs like side delivery rake, not for baling.

Tom Coughlin
    Participant

I am thinking of doing the same ,I would love to see how you go about making a clutch assy. Can you keep us updated on progress.I know Donn Hewes has made at least one of these ,wonder if he can add something

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

There was a similar cart in the small farmers journal a while back. I always thought that would be a good way to build one. I second the request for you to keep us updated as you build!

LongViewFarm
    Participant

It might be fun to get a group together with the equipment to make 2-3 carts in a well stocked shop. We’d be able to compare different tractors used and methods of fabrication. I am going to have to make one of these or buy an I&J cart in the next year or so too.

bsmit24
    Participant

Does it affect how it pulls if it is an open differential vs a locked one?

If it will provide enough transfer of torque you could probably use the tensioner off of a mower deck with a manual pto engagement. Not sure if the bearings in the rear end are set up for that kind of side loading though.

bsmit24
    Participant

Double Post

Roscoe
    Participant

I thought about using the clutch/tensioner of an old lawn tractor.
    And I still have to decide if it should have 2 or 3 wheel. And IF 3 wheels, if the front wheel should be a “crazy wheel” or steered with the pole.
    Decisions…

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

hi Roscoe, I have used a couple different third wheel set ups and i prefer two wheels over three. If you can get it close to balanced the two wheel is much more maneuverable. these carts can be balanced very light on the tongue as the engaged PTO will also push down on the tongue when working.

For third wheels I much prefer a dolly wheel with a straight tongue like on a mower(crazy wheel), versus a turning tongue. I have a gas powered PTO cart with a third wheel attached to a turning tongue. This cart is hard to back up, and becomes impossible when backing with anything hooked behind.

Roscoe
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    3 wheeler would only have an advantage with either a 3 point hitch or an implement witch changing tongue weight (dump trailer, manure spreader)?
    How much less is the “tongue slap” on a 3wheeler with a turning tongue compare to a 2 wheeler?

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

tongue slap is almost non existent with a turning tongue. I would build a three wheeled cart for that. Even in the woods where tongue slap is at it’s worst, it is much preferable to have the smaller more compact two wheeled cart.

Roscoe
    Participant

Finally, this spring after the snow was gone and the mud dried up, I got access to a Ford 3/4 ton frame with axles. In the beginning I wanted to use the front axle for my ground drive cart because of the lock hubs and the possibility to steer. When I started to remove the axle from the frame, I realized it is not a solid live axle. The axle has a joint in the middle and would have required a frame that is connecting with the axle in the middle.
    Anyhow, I was running late and in need for a cart, I removed the rear axle and cut off 3 feet at the end of the frame. I turned the frame piece upside down so that the hitch receiver holds now the tongue. With some rough cut lumber I made a platform and a guard to the rear so I can stand and lean to it. I pulled with the team the pasture drag and it worked just fine. Next stage is to fabricate the PTO and the clutch. That will take certainly longer then one day…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.