Ground Driving Firsts!

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Member Diaries Ground Driving Firsts!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sean518
    Participant

I’ve had my team of fillies since November of 2010, when they were just 6 months old. Since then I’ve been slowly doing the best I can with the time I have to teach ground manners and handling and grooming them as often as possible. I dug up some of my dad’s old harnesses and had them dipped. I’ve introduced the fillies to bits and harness, off and on, over and over. I’ve read lots of forum posts and books and training strategies.

Last Friday I decided that it was finally time. I harnessed Maeve up, took her into the field, led her around a bit, and then moved behind her. She almost immediately figured out that I wanted her to go forward and everything went extremely well. It was amazing. We drove around in circles for a bit, stopped a few times at a ‘whoa,’ and then I brought her back in. I know I was nervous, she probably was too. I’m not an amature, but I’m certainly no expert either, and I’ve never trained a horse before. I can’t have pictured it going any better. In fact, I pictured it going far worse.

It was one of the most intensely exhilarating feelings that I’ve ever had. It’s just amazing to be able to communicate and work in concert with this beautiful and incredibly powerful 1600+ lb creature and to have it understand and respond to the cues you’re giving it and to respond to the cues it’s giving you as well. I’ve driven quite a few other horses, and we board my neighbor’s well broke team, but these girls are all mine, and I’m all theirs. I now feel optimistic that I can train my team myself, slow and steady.

I drove her two more times over the weekend with great results. A little bit longer than previously each time. She’s doing great. Now I just have to get her sister out there as well!

– Sean

JayChase
    Participant

Congratulations! Sounds like you and the horse are doing well. I look forward to hearing more in the future.
    Jay

Jay
    Participant

Sounds as though you have a good pace going with her. Keep it up, slow and steady as she goes. Keep us posted. Jay

Eli
    Participant

Congrats keep up the good work. I am training one of my curly mares to drive also, sounds like you are doing good. Good luck and kep us posted. Eli

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.