Ground driving Teamdonk 3 abreast

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Other Working Animals Ground driving Teamdonk 3 abreast

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Introducing from left to right;
    Lippy Luvver Luc
    Magical merlin
    Sir Galahad
    …and some damn pirate-farmer.
    That’d make 3-abreast asses w/ one tagging behind. :rolleyes:

I’m relieving the Demented Dame on the lines while she takes photos & rests her feet.
    Whatcha think?
    DSC03795.jpg
    DSC03782.jpg
    Merlin is the tallest…and isn’t even done growing, yet!
    Luc is a half-brother to my Jenny-Mae, although she is smaller…
    LittleBitJennyMae.jpg
    That’s Jenny-Mae on the right, my new girl Little Bit on the left. She (LB) looks too small to be much use ‘cept for light work, but I’ve got a suspicion she’s got a lot of heart, if I can connect with it. I take what I learn & experience w/ Kristi’s boys & bring it back home to “share” w/ me girls.

😀 Pirate Farmer… you be “ta man”! Looking fine with all those donkey kids!
    One day when I knew you’d be off on a another adventure I snuck over and played with the girls…what sweeties they are… Jenny Mae told me she wants to be just like Luc someday! 🙂

Rod
    Participant

Nice photos

Nat(wasIxy)
    Participant

Love this and…they are huge! we rarely get donkeys that big in the UK

@Ixy 27822 wrote:

Love this and…they are huge! we rarely get donkeys that big in the UK

That is my understanding also and it is a bit surprising to me. Our first donkeys came this way on Columbus’s second voyage in 1495.
    Great Britain and Europe also contributed to the first donkeys which I always assumed were large. President George Washington was gifted with a 15 hand Andalusian jack by the King of Spain and from France he received another excellent jack. Each came with two large jennies and that is how we started the American Jackstock breed of large draft style donkeys which gave the settlers the ability to breed for mules. One of the best styles of draft donkeys are the now endangered Poitou donkeys at 14 to 15 hands and they came from France. They look like a cross between a wooly mammoth and a donkey. Thanks for the response!

Nat(wasIxy)
    Participant

I think donkeys just never took off here like they did over the water? Except perhaps in Ireland, but they were still small over there as far as I know….a shame!

I believe the large donkeys here are just starting to become popular as riding, driving and farming animals. With their gentle nature, trainability and less spook than a horse the older generation have begun to see their value. The mini donkeys are just right for small acreages to keep mowed down and be fun loving pets. Of course we have many inbetween sizes that can be used as guard or companion animals if properly trained to do so. They are not horses and do keep one on their toes trying to out think them or at least process thoughts like a donkey!

near horse
    Participant

@Demented Donkey Dame 27823 wrote:

….. Our first donkeys came this way on Columbus’s second voyage in 1495…..

Dang – just how old are you?

Rod44
    Participant

Nice to see donkeys working!

@Rod44 27882 wrote:

Nice to see donkeys working!

Thanks… seems to me I have seen a video clip of a young team out in a field you posted… could be wrong but I’m thinking that was yours. They are great working critters and so nice to get along with. I hope to do much more with mine in the future!

@near horse 27874 wrote:

Dang – just how old are you?

Hey didn’t your momma tell ya it’s not polite to ask a lady or a Demented Donkey Dame her age….. silly me… I see the wording was a tad bit off!
    I’m hoping to get up your direction next week. My daughter has an appointment at the Appaloosa Museum, maybe we’ll swing thru Deary I always love that drive.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.