Halter/Bridle Combo? Attn Donn

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Halter/Bridle Combo? Attn Donn

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Hi Donn, where did you get your halter bridle combo? I saw one on your mare at the field days. I was thinking about just modifying my halters but I think it would be worth the money to get the ones intended for the use.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Jared, I have recently been working with some horses without the bridle / halter and it just confirmed that I like them. I think they are really best made by adding a couple pieces to a bridle and not a halter. Halters don’t fit on a horses head the way a bridle does and the purpose of that is to hold a bit stable. I suppose a good fitting halter would work.

To convert a bridle to a bridle halter combo just add a strap long enough to go under the mouth and back. If you look at one from a leather halter it might be a little short as the halter ring often rides a little lower on the horse than a bridle ring. Then you just need the short connecting piece that slips on the throat latch and has a ring on the near end.

Because I wanted a couple new bridles anyway I had them made at Locust Lane Harness shop in Romulus, but any harness shop could make them or just add the pieces to existing bridles.

Mike Rock
    Participant

Hi Donn,
    A picture please? Just to make sure.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Maybe not the best pic but here is one.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

second try

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Thanks Donn, Good tip, I had only seen where people had clipped bits onto normal halters, not the other way around.
    I might see how much a new leather one might cost to be made because my bridles are pretty old handmedowns anyway.

Mike Rock
    Participant

Thanks Donn,
    I am getting my harness stuff up and running. Old Landis #1 still runs like a top. I’m 69 and nothing I have for machinery was even made in my lifetime. Some of the HD farm stuff was but most predates me too.

dominiquer60

I purchased a bridle halter combo meant for riding. I don’t like it as it has cheek pieces that snap in up above the cheek buckle, the noseband and cheek pieces together rub a raw spot. I like yours much better Donn, simpler and less likely to rub. I have a driving bridle that I am going to get plain cheeks for blinderless driving, thankfully the blinders and cheeks are set up for easy detaching and replacing. I don’t use the halter part of my combo halter bridle, I just got it to try the new mare without blinders. Life is much better for her without blinder 🙂

Erika

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Funny how some nice bridles will rub. I have a couple old bridles that I really like the way they look. I try them on every new horse I bring home. They rub every time! I don’t discourage folks from using halters under bridles and the ability to tie up is huge, but I got use to looking at horses with out the halter and just like it better. It is easy to add a couple pieces and add a halter to a bridle.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Here’s another thread on halter/bridles: Halter / Bridle Thread

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.