Hard to bridle mule

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Mules Hard to bridle mule

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Barw
    Participant

I would like some thoughts on how to bridle a mule with sensitive ears.
    As soon as the bridle touches her ears she lifts her head and pulls back.
    I even dropped the bit off thinking may be it was hitting her teeth but that
    didn’t make any difference.I have been using a twitch on her nose to get
    the bridle on but there as to be a better way.The fellow that raised the mules
    said he never abused her or her ears.Once the bridle is on she is a well mannered
    mule.Her team mate you can do anything with his ears.
    Any opinions on what to do?

houstonmule
    Participant

@Barw 32243 wrote:

I would like some thoughts on how to bridle a mule with sensitive ears.
    As soon as the bridle touches her ears she lifts her head and pulls back.
    I even dropped the bit off thinking may be it was hitting her teeth but that
    didn’t make any difference.I have been using a twitch on her nose to get
    the bridle on but there as to be a better way.The fellow that raised the mules
    said he never abused her or her ears.Once the bridle is on she is a well mannered
    mule.Her team mate you can do anything with his ears.
    Any opinions on what to do?

I’ve fixed several this way;
    It might be hard for me to explain this as I type so if you wish to call me you can.

Halter you mule and tie to a wall with about 3ft of halter shank.
    Take a buggy whip a hold it revesed (oppisite end from the handle).
    If your right handed…face your mule (or a step off to the right) with the whip in your right hand and bring your left hand to the square.
    You begin to tap on his rear with the butt end of the whip attempting to drive him to your lifted hand (which will be about as high as his forhead.
    I say “come here” as I tap.
    You are just tapping ( I could tap you this hard and we’d still be friends)
    Each time he makes an effort to come to you….you stop tapping. Then start again until he takes another step forward.
    You never go to him with your left hand. If you do you’ve lost and he will make you reach farther next time.
    Usually he will come to your have in about 5 minutes.
    As he comes up and puts his forehead on your hand….you start to rub around. If he moves his head away from your hand the tapping starts again.
    It’s the simple saying of “make the wrong thind difficult and the right thing easy”. He would rather you play with his ears than you tapping on that spot that’s statring to get sore.

It might take a few sessions to get it solid but I’ve fixed a few bad ones and it works.

dbarker4322
    Participant

I have one that is the same way. I put a buckle in the bridle and buckle around her ears. It works and doesn’t bother me to do it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.