hauling downhill

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Horses hauling downhill

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kristin
    Participant

We had a good run in the sugarbush yesterday and filled the sap wagon all the way to the top. The tank is either 200 or 250 gallons (so max 2000 pounds of load) and the road home is a moderately steep paved downhill slope. I get a little tense on that downhill, because I am not sure how much weight they can comfortably hold back. Am I pushing it, or is this a reasonable load to take down a hill? The horses are probably 1700 pounds each.

all best,
    Kristin

Plowboy
    Participant

They should be able to hold that load if they are in shape and if they get good footing. If they are not shod ice and wet pavement might compromise their holding power. If you are real worried about it you could have a “shoe” made to skid one wheel. We have two of them made from wide shallow channel iron turned up on one end to accomodate the tire and a hole in the nose to run a chain through and chain it back to the running gear. We used to use them when hauling 6 round bales on a wagon. Typically a horse can pull more than they can hold back.

Kristin
    Participant

Thanks, Plowboy. This is why I love this site. Anyone have a picture of this type of ‘shoe’?
    -Kristin

Plowboy
    Participant

Kristin I haven’t had any luck posting pictures because we can’t seem to get them resized to be posted. The shoe is made of 7 or 8″ channel iron about 18″ long that is notched and bent upward at the last 4″ with a hole torched or drilled through the upturned end to accept a small clevis so you can attatch a piece of 5/16″ chain to it with a grab hook to wrap around the frame of the running gear to help keep it in place. It will skid one hind wheel giving your team some breaking power going down steep hills with heavy loads. Good Luck I hope I explained it sufficiently.

Jim Ullrich
    Participant

Do you put some weld bead or other roughness on the bottom? I was wondering about hitting a packed snow or ice patch with a smooth plate.
    Thanks

gunslinger598
    Participant

I apply borium with a torch. It helps keep traction on slick surfaces and the shoes will last most of the time until the nail holes get to big to hold a nail.

My little cart horse I have been resetting the shoes every 6 to 7 weeks for over a year now.

Rod
    Participant

Try this link for some sketches and ideas for wagon brakes.
    http://www.mullerslanefarm.com/wagonbrake.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.