hay wagon

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Hi All,

Been reading some good posts on other threads by the Usual Suspects.

I have a 3 ton gear that I need to make a hay (square bale) wagon for. Is there any “standard” size for length or width? My gear length telescopes.

Any specific or general comments appreciated.

Mark

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Marc:

I built my wagons with an 8′ x 16′ deck with backboard.

George

Marshall
    Participant

I made mine 8×14. The width is good but I wish I would have made them a little longer.

J-L
    Participant

I made my last one 8’x14′. I thought I would like the extra width but have hated it since I made it. 7′ fits through tight spots much better. I use mine feeding hay every day when not hooked to a bobsled and then use it in the spring and summer for many other chores. 8′ wide just barely rubs through some of my gates and is always catching on the brush.
    When I rebuild it again it’ll be 7′ wide and 16′ long. I have one wagon that’s only 12′ long and it’s never big enough.

jac
    Participant

I only have 1 wagon just now and its only 6′ 6″ wide and about 12′ long.. same comment..not big enuff.. I recon 7′ wide and 16′ long would be a really usefull size..
    John

goodcompanion
    Participant

8 x 16. Four sheets of plywood and no cuts for your deck.

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Thanks all. Now I just have to get at it.

Mark

dominiquer60

We use both sizes. For winter storage we stack the 7′ wide wagons on the 8′ wide wagons, they nest nicely and we even load the 7’ers with seasonal items for winter storage as well. Just a thought for anyone with a need for multiple wagons.

Erika

PhilG
    Participant

Mark,
    Post some photos if you can, I need to start the same project when I get a little extra $.
    Thanks

Michael Low
    Participant

What dimension beams do people use for the sixteen footers?

What about for the eight foot bunk pieces, spacing? dimension?

Thanks
    Michael Low

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.