Hay

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jen judkins
    Participant

I’m looking for good second cut hay in square bales. My local guy just upped his hay prices to 7.00 a bale! Is he nuts!!!! I’m in central NH. Thanks. Jennifer.

Jean
    Participant

Hey Jen, Check out vermont agriview online, you can find it if you google it. They list forage suppliers by county in the state. That is how I found my hay guy. You would most likely have to cross the state line, but you should be able to find something close.
    Jean

OldKat
    Participant

@jenjudkins 3860 wrote:

I’m looking for good second cut hay in square bales. My local guy just upped his hay prices to 7.00 a bale! Is he nuts!!!! I’m in central NH. Thanks. Jennifer.

I have no idea what so-called “horse quality” hay sells for in other parts of the country, but where I live the most commonly used grasses for horse hay are any of the hybrid Bermuda grasses; Coastal, the Tifton’s (44 etc) and Jigs. The in-field prices for these had been running $3.50 to $4.0 / square bale for the last couple of years (up sharply because of the nearly continuous drought that we have been experiencing since about 2000). The in-barn prices run $1.0 to $1.50 higher. With diesel prices at about $5.0 per gallon for much of the growing season I suppose those tractors were a little more expensive to operate, so higher prices (at least around here) were probably to be expected.

I was able to buy native grass hay, eastern gamma grass, at $4.0 in-field. I bought round bales of the same out of the barn this past weekend at $50.0 per roll. They eat this stuff like a kid eats cotton candy. These are 1,100 to 1,150 lbs rolls, net wrapped. The square bales tested at 9.9% CP, but I forget the TDN number (it was high). The round bales came from the same field, but not sure the same cutting as the square bales.

If you figure square bales at 60 lbs, and rolls at 1,100 lbs that figures out to about $2.70 per square bale equivalent. I am setting up next year to go all round bales, IF I can buy them.

Theloggerswife
    Participant

We still have some second cut square bales available. We are charging $5.00 a bale out of the barn. I feel that $7.00 is a little excessive, but I am sure he will be able to get it once February or March rolls around. Unfortunately, there appears to be a hay shortage this year.

I have resorted to feeding round bales, because all of our first cut square bales are all sold!

LStone
    Participant

Hey Jen,
    Around Concord the prices are about that as well. I am looking for more too. I’ll let you know if I find something out your way though.

PestoPower
    Participant

We get our hay out of Canada. Used the same guy for about 10 yrs now. Yves Bedard Farm in quebec. He is consistent and once he knows what you like it is what he’ll get you every time. Hay runs about 220-250 a ton for grass hay. We buy by the semi load- 53′ trailer full.

Beth

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.