Hello from Austria/Europe!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    OEIPK
    Participant

Hi, my name is Wolfgang Ehmeier and I’m one of three chairmen of the austrian workinghorse association. http://www.pferdekraft.at
    Me and my wife have a little horticultural farm and we work as much as we can with our 3 draft horses (Noriker – an Austrian brand). I happy that I’ve found this forum, where the working horses have a main part in the farmes life. I hope to find new and interesting contacts here and to have the chance to learn from other horsemen or women.

One question please, I’ll travel to Atlanta, Georgia in next spring and would like to know if there are any working horse people around who I could visit?

Thanks in advance and greetings from Austria,
    Wolfgang

http://www.hoedlgut.at

jen judkins
    Participant

Welcome, Wolfgang! Nice to hear from you on the other side of the world….

I don’t have an answer for you about Atlanta, but maybe someone else can…

Jean
    Participant

Welcome Wolfgang. We would like to see some pictures of your horses working. There is a man named Andy Bennet who is located a couple hours north of Atlanta that works with horses and his young boys work with ponies doing much the same stuff as their father does with the big ones. If you would like I could put you in touch with him.

Jean

dominiquer60

Welcome Wolfgang,

I hope you find this forum useful, there are many good people and ideas here in one place. If you don’t get a response about your Spring trip try posting a thread with a different title to get the attention of folks in the south. Our site is searchable so have fun reading from our collection of discussions.

Erika

OEIPK
    Participant

Thank you all! Here are some pics from our horses:
    2763581540101300327S500x500Q85.jpg

2147971970101300327S500x500Q85.jpg

2578948440101300327S500x500Q85.jpg

2270598430101300327S500x500Q85.jpg

J-L
    Participant

Hi Wolfgang. First off, I very much like the look of your horses.

I would like to know more about your mower.

Welcome here.

OEIPK
    Participant

My horses ar Noriker. A typical Astrian brand. I like them, because they aren´t afraid of loud noise. Next to us is the main railroad track but they haven´t a problem with it. They ar great!

The mower ist a “Fahr 4” mower. It´s an old one but it works very well. The cutter bar is 138cm long. I have one more with an 158cm cutter bar. But on the picture I worked between appletrees and there ar 138cm more then enough.

Wolfgang

simon lenihan
    Participant

Hello wolfgang,
    Welcome, i have seen the noriker horse working in europe and they are very impressive. I am also very interested in the various bloodlines, nero, vulcan, etc and how they have been developed over hundreds of years. I hope you enjoy this site.
    simon, http://www.celtichorselogging.com

mr oak
    Participant

hi Wolfgang & Simon,i’m new to the site and glad to find noriker mentioned. After doing some training with doug joiner, and hearing about his czech norikers, before they arrived, i’ve been trying to find out everything i can about them,the volcano seems to be the biggest and most popular with leisure riding,do you know if one line is used in forestry more than others?
    glad to see you are interested in them simon as you are into it professionally.
    Thanks
    Jon

simon lenihan
    Participant

Welcome jon,
    The noriker breed orginated from the central alps [ austria ]. There are 5 bloodlines in austria today, vulkan line [ largest ] elmar line, diamant line, nero line and my favourite the schaunitz line which are lighter and very spirited. The bottom line is all are capable workhorses. The silesian noriker is native to the czech republic and surrounding areas. the best working norikers we have seen were in slovakia at the state run forestry stud at dobsina. In my opinion the 3 best logging horses in europe were the ardenner, noriker and north swedish, the advantage of the noriker and north swedish is that they do not have the same leg problems as the ardenner [ cpl ]. If you are interested in sourcing some good norikers you can contact me but be warned they are expensive.
    simon

mr oak
    Participant

thanks Simon, i’ve been looking at everything i can to do with the noriker(it takes some searching to find anything!)so i’m very interested in your sourcing them.i like the fact that foals only come from strictly working mares and stallions unlike our poor shires selected from mares and stallions with the longest legs and the softest feather!
    which type would you be looking at?
    do you have an idea of prices,age and stage of training that you could source,any info would be greatly appreciated.
    many thanks jon

irish
    Participant

@mr oak 40424 wrote:

thanks Simon, i’ve been looking at everything i can to do with the noriker(it takes some searching to find anything!)so i’m very interested in your sourcing them.i like the fact that foals only come from strictly working mares and stallions unlike our poor shires selected from mares and stallions with the longest legs and the softest feather!
    which type would you be looking at?
    do you have an idea of prices,age and stage of training that you could source,any info would be greatly appreciated.
    many thanks jon

i total agree about breading from good working stock, people were put in mares in foal because they were no good at anything else, but this is less of a problem now since the recession, but why did they even think they produce good stock from them , but truing to find good stock is not easy, i am and i trying to find something nice for forestry work to, iam condering a irsh draft X cob but only as i could probally pick up one for next to nothing but prefer the north swedish

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.