Hitching two logs with one chain

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Working with Draft Animals Hitching two logs with one chain

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Carl Russell

Working wih a single horse lately, so I snapped a few pics of how I hitch two logs together with one chain…..

Apparently this site wants to post them in reverse order…

The first pic is a separate situation,mshowingba slightly different application.

The last four pics in reverse order show the typical progression.

Carl

• This topic was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Carl Russell.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Carl Russell

Oh well, that is stupid… You should be able to see the progression…. Site doesn’t want to respect my selected order…..

Brad Johnson
    Participant

I do exactly the same hitch, both with a single and with team in loose rigging as well. I am now using the repaired DAPNet hook on a hardwood job. I had a student at the tech school in town weld the pin bolt with a new grade 7 bolt, shortening its length. It seems to be much stronger and works well when you have to hook two chains. I will send an update about durability, but so far so good.
    -Brad

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi guys, Brad, glad you are testing the hook again. The one I sent you with the harness had a grade 8 bolt. Did you break that or just change it to make it shorter? Did you shorten it by about a 1/4″ or so? Just wondering. D

I have used that half hitch many times as well. I always like starting a load perpendicular to the logs like that when the opportunity presents itself. It is a nice gentle way to get a bigger load moving.

Unfortunately I am out of the game for a few weeks with a bad hand from a table saw accident. I didn’t get cut by the blade, but my hand sure got pushed around.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Unrelated, is that scotch pine? if so what are you using it for? we have a ton around here and I havent figured out what to do with it yet.

Thanks
    Jared

Carl Russell

Red pine…. Just selling to a concentration yard for saw logs. Scots pine can be sold to the same market if, and that is a big IF, it is straight enough….

Hope you heal Donn.

I have yet to use the DAPNet hook. Timber has been using it with his single steer, but I expect to run it next week…. Will report back.

Carl

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hey Carl, Don’t take this the wrong way; but if timber is happy I am happy!

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Just Kidding! I did get to use the hook in a new way a couple weeks ago but didn’t get a picture. I thought I would be right back to get a picture in a few days. Then the weather warmed up, and now I am sitting watching netflixs. Horses should return to work this week as Scott and Aubrey move in.

Anyway, I used the hook with a double tree on my ski arch. The ski arch has a large homemade hook to hang eveners on, and the handle goes right on. Tongue length was fine, and I pulled a couple of big birch pieces (wind storm, lightning?). It worked fine in a hitched configuration. Pictures next time.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Brad, I am guessing you didn’t get the remade hook I sent you? should have got it with the harness. D

Does’ Leap
    Participant

I use the same hitch. I find that with larger logs the chain can sometimes be hard to extract at the landing (unless you have a peavey handy) as it can get bound pretty tight between the logs. Once in a while I will hitch 3 logs using the same weaving hitch similar to the one used on on the bunk of the bobsled.

The going is good for logging in northern Vermont right now – frozen ground with minimal snow. I found a local mill 15 miles from me that is buying spruce for $300 mbf and will take mixed loads or hemlock and spruce.

George

Carl Russell

I do not take the wood all the way like this. In the last pic, where the logs are squared up, and tight together, you can see I have swung the chain around to a better situation. It takes a lot less time to reorganize the chain like that, then to go back for another log that can be hitched at the same time.

Going is good here too.

Carl

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Hey Carl:

I am not sure I understand. If we label your pictures in reverse order (i.e. #1 is the last picture), you reorganize your chain between #3 and #4 for easier extraction? I am not sure how #5 fits into the picture.

George

Carl Russell

George, the order of progression is 5,4,2,3. Picture 1 is of a separate log.

In picture 3, you should be able to see how the chains have been reorganized to lay more favorably around the logs.

I posted them in order, but the site not only could not respect the direction of the progression, it couldn’t even post them in the actual order. I am disappointed that the pics could not be correctly oriented. I evn tried to edit the order, but did not have that functionality.

Carl

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Carl, I got it. Good tip, thank you.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.