hooked my mules today

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Mules hooked my mules today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    houstonmule
    Participant

Magrath.jpg

Mules4abreastJan15th2011132.jpg

Mules4abreastJan15th2011088.jpg

Mules4abreastJan15th2011138.jpg

First time driving 4. They did very well. Can’t wait to do it again.

and all of you look relaxed 😉

Jean
    Participant

Wow, that looks awesome!! All your mules are beautiful.

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Looks awesome! I’m working on my first team. We’re just in the beginning stages – driving single first.

Bring them out to Winnemucca and show them!

Dave

houstonmule
    Participant

Thank you. We had a little trouble with the rope and pully 4 up. The lead team walk a little faster than the wheel team. The lead team pulls until the pulley bottoms out on the double tree and kind of stalls the wheel team. They usually pull well also but something is making them hold back. The lead team ends up pulling very hard. Any ideas members?

jac
    Participant

Hi that is a really nice team you have and going well too. Only thots I have on the top foto regards the wheelers holding back is the broken line of draft in the pulley system. It may just be the way the foto is but mabey the droppers holding the rope at the wheelers collars needs lowered ? If the leaders tighten up the ropes and pull hard a downward pressure on the ropes would lead to pressure on the collars of the wheelers ? also if the leaders bottom out the pulley will they not have the effect of easing the collar forward off the wheelers shoulders and this may lead to a loss of confidence in the wheelers….. just a thot.. but great to see your mules and good luck with them..
    John

J-L
    Participant

I was actually going to ask how you got along with that rope and pulley set up. I have one on it’s way for my mules and horses and was going to use it on a bobsled and if it works well enough might use it dragging meadows.
    John (jac) may have hit on the problem. I looked again at the photo and you would have some downward pressure on the collars and may wind up doing what he said. It may not matter when they get used to it. In looking at several photo’s of Amish using that system they had a straight line of draft so you might want to try that.
    By the way, beautiful team of mules and I really like your harness too. What kind of mares are your mules out of? I really like a mule that size and those black mules w/rootbeer noses are sure pretty.

houstonmule
    Participant

@J-L 23851 wrote:

I was actually going to ask how you got along with that rope and pulley set up. I have one on it’s way for my mules and horses and was going to use it on a bobsled and if it works well enough might use it dragging meadows.
    John (jac) may have hit on the problem. I looked again at the photo and you would have some downward pressure on the collars and may wind up doing what he said. It may not matter when they get used to it. In looking at several photo’s of Amish using that system they had a straight line of draft so you might want to try that.
    By the way, beautiful team of mules and I really like your harness too. What kind of mares are your mules out of? I really like a mule that size and those black mules w/rootbeer noses are sure pretty.

These ae out of percheron mares. The pictures make them look smaller for some reason. They weigh 1100-1300lbs.

Anyone think I should just hook another double tree to the end of the tongue and try that for a while? What about hooking the lead team double tree to a chain or cable that hooks to the front of the wagon.

jac
    Participant

Only problem with hooking straight to the tongue with a double tree is the old draft angle thing again. If the tongue runs low on the neck yokes so that the line of draft runs thru to the wheelers point of attachment then it should be ok, otherwise you end up with downward pressure again.
    John

houstonmule
    Participant

@jac 23854 wrote:

Only problem with hooking straight to the tongue with a double tree is the old draft angle thing again. If the tongue runs low on the neck yokes so that the line of draft runs thru to the wheelers point of attachment then it should be ok, otherwise you end up with downward pressure again.
    John

Ya, I’ll have to watch that. Thanks

OldKat
    Participant

Nice hitch. Very impressive setup & animals. Looks like you are in someone’s indoor rodeo arena.

houstonmule
    Participant

@OldKat 23858 wrote:

Nice hitch. Very impressive setup & animals. Looks like you are in someone’s indoor rodeo arena.

Thanks,
    It’s an arena about 10 miles away from us. Very handy to ride in on cold winter days. It was -25 yesterday. I drove them 4 abreast for 3 hours and in a 4 up for 20 minutes before we ran out of time. That was my wifes grandfather sitting with me. He used to haul frieght with teams in our area, he got a kick out of it.

Roscoe
    Participant

Nice mules!
    For pulling a wagon, I would suggest to use a double tree attached to the tongue, especially when you drive in a small area and make a lot of turns.
    When you start a turn, shorten the reins of the leaders a half foot, so the lead team is out of draft and won’t flip the wheel team over.
    Watch on youtube the dressage of the 4up

Or make at least some stoppers in the ropes, that you can take the leaders out of draft.

Dav
    Participant

try tying a lead line from the wheelers to the inside tug on the mule in front I’d leave a halter on under the bridal for this. Also hold your lead team back as much as possible to let the others start.

houstonmule
    Participant

Okay thanks, I’ll try those ideas. I’m going to hook the again in a couple weeks. I’ll let you know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.