Horn Weights on Cattle

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Animal Health Horn Weights on Cattle

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

We have sold several sizes of horn weights for training large horns on cattle or oxen, but have never personally used them. Can anyone give me a step by step method of application, time it takes for training the horn, etc?
    I’ld really appreciate it.

OldKat
    Participant

When I was a kid, maybe early high school age, a friend had a Hereford show heifer whose left horn was curving up at the tip. I have no idea how they determined how many ounces the weight should be, but the thing they used was a doughnut looking deal, maybe split in two, with a flange on both sides. There was a screw or an Allen screw on both sides. They loosened the screws, slid it on her horn as far they could and then tightened down on it. I think there were small cleats on the inside to bite down on the horn.

She probably wore it for 6 or 8 months before the tip of that horn came down to the same level as the tip on the other. Of course, she was less than 2 years old. I suspect it would take a bigger weight, and more time on a fully mature animal. I guess it would also have to do with how far you are trying to bring the horn down.

I have Red Angus cattle, so these discussions are purely theoretical for me!;)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.