Horse leaning

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi my name is Frank Gould in Springfield Vt , WE bought a team of belgian mares last fall. They went great, this spring one is now leaning in, its like an alinement problem. All equipment is the as last fall. I am going to try to swap side, even though the former owner said they go best the way we have them. Any suggestion will be helpful

Thanks
    Frank

Lane Linnenkohl
    Participant

The obvious first step is to check to see if there’s something causing her pain.

Lane

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Frank, There are several possiblities and as usual it is very hard to say from this distance. Do you have any one you have been working with helping you as you get started. I am assuming you are just getting started, and if so some one with an experienced eye can be a valuable asset.

Here are some possibilities in no particular order. One or both of the stub lines (check lines) are not crossing in between the horses as they should. These lines are usually a few inches longer than the other depending on the set up. You are hitched to a different implement with a different length evener or neck yoke. Lamness? Is it possible that nothing is different from last year and the horse is just looking around. What are you hooking to?

I could think of more but my wife is dragging me out to dinner. let us know how you make out. Donn

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Don
    We hook them again yesterday and did better (did not switch sides). All equipment is the same as last fall. yoke and evener are same length, Did check the stub lines after ride one was three holes off from the other. Made them the same will see if that makes a difference next time. by the way we lost a mare and foal this spring(Breech). WE may be looking for a brabant to pair up with gelding we have. It will be this fall before we are real serious about one. Anyway thanks and I will keep you posted.

Frank

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi frank, I am glad the horses are doing better. Having the lines three holes off will definitely make one or both of them hold their head a little funny. The stub lines (part of team lines that cross between the horses) should be 8″ longer than the draft lines (the part that goes to the outside of each horse), for a 42″ yoke and evener. A longer evener would require a longer stub line, and a shorter one would require a shorter stub line. This assumes you are not using spreaders (a string of rings attached to the hames). As spreaders move the horses apart also the stub lines would be shorter to compensate.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.