Horse logging apprenticeship offered

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Market Place Working Situations Horse logging apprenticeship offered

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brad Johnson
    Participant

I am once again putting out the word about opportunities to work in the woods with horses and teamster from ALL Together Farm. We are located in Randolph Center, VT (central part of the state) and I work with my horses 200-250 days a year, all on woodlots off the farm. Annually we produce 400-500,000 bf of logs plus firewood and pulp. I work alone and also with like minded teamsters with their own teams and small machinery. In addition to the work in the woods, we use our horses to clip pasture, spread manure, and condition our pasture ground. However, most of our time is spent logging.

Apprentices must be willing to work very hard for no pay beyond room and board (possibly); You work for me and I teach you the trade. An apprentice can expect to leave with skills that they can put to use in their own work cutting firewood for home use or doing commercial work in the woods. Skills covered included basic horsemanship and horse feeding and care (including trimming and shoeing), use of multiple tools in the woods, ground skidding as well as cart use for moving logs, directional felling, working with foresters as well as landowners and truckers, tree selection and marking, marketing, and more. Also, potential candidates must be willing to do daily livestock chores and some garden work, including work on weekends. We raise pigs, meat chickens, turkeys, layers, and sometimes beef as well, all pasture fed. However, make no mistake – most of time you will be in the woods working with my horses.

We do offer the chance to live here on site in our house with me and my family. We have an eleven year old daughter, so ability to set and good example for and live comfortably with a child is imperative. An in-person visit is absolutely required for any potential apprentice. Following mud season we will get back in the woods in May and work through the end of December.

If I have not discouraged you yet and this sounds like something you might enjoy, please get in touch. I do not need the help in my operation but I am committed to providing a chance for folks to learn the trade. Feel free to email or call and I can give you more details, and evenings between 5-8 pm is best time to get my by phone.
    -Brad Johnson

dominiquer60

Brad,
    Did you mean to include your phone number?

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Yes, I did. Thanks! 802-345-7488

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

If only I weren’t so busy I would be there! Honestly folks it is not going to get any better than that. D

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Donn Hewes.
    Brad Johnson
    Participant

I am happy to say that we have filled our apprenticeship for this summer season. We will be offering this opportunity again in the fall, and if anyone wants to get in touch with me in the mean time please do so.
    -Brad

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.