Horses with Loose Stools….advise needed

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Animal Health Horses with Loose Stools….advise needed

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Theloggerswife
    Participant

I am probably worrying about nothing like usual, but I need to ease my mind with your help! Both of my drafts have a mild case of diarrhea. For a lack of better words, my husband explains it as – the usual road apples (poop) then a squirt of loose stools.

They are in the same pasture, same minerals, same grain, same water source (running brook). I wormed with ivermectin on November 24th and haven’t seen a change. They still eat and act fine.

Maybe I should confine them to the corral and the run in/run out for a bit and see if it is something they are eating in the pasture? As always…any advice you have is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jen judkins
    Participant

Missy, As a physician I tend to be over observant in regard to bowel movements, lol. And since I pick of most of the manure on the property for composting, I pay more attention than most. I have noted that alittle extra water in the poop is common for this time of the year, particularly with my belgian. I think it is a GI response to the change of forage…at least in my own herd. In general, I don’t worry unless the pile is very flat (ie soggy) and is persistently so. If the buns are well formed, all is generally well. I feed alot of probiotics during the change of seasons and all seems to improve in a matter of weeks (though it might improve without the intervention as well).

In contrast, I had 6 months of profuse, watery, explosive diarrhea in my belgian as a yearling…truely scarey stuff. He was never sick, nor was he ever off feed….but the mess he made….I will never recover! He was treated for worms two or three times, giarrdea twice without improvement. Turns out he ate a boat load of red electric tape as a weanling at a different farm and he had a partial bowel obstruction. Don’t ask how I figured that out…but alot of red tape in the poop and a small town…well, its a long story!

So I wouldn’t worry too much! Just keep an eye out and maybe add some probiotics for a week or two. Jennifer.

Theloggerswife
    Participant

My vet didn’t seem to be too excited about what was happening, so I knew it must be minor. I just didn’t want them to get to sick before doing something about it.

Honestly, it bothers me more then them! I will keep an eye on them and make sure it doesn’t get any worse.

TBigLug
    Participant

Like jen said, a lttle isn’t anything to worry about. I’ve got a 9 y/o that has done exactly as your horses are on and off for as long as I’ve had him. He’s neve slowed down eating and it doesn’t seem to bother him. They’ll be fine.

Iron Rose
    Participant

Probably nothing to worry about , but if it continues you should have them checked for tape worms. Had a gelding that was real loose off and on . Had the vet take a stoul sample and tested postive for tapeworm. After treating him properly no more problems Good luck

PestoPower
    Participant

The probiotics tend to really help out. Like Jen said the change of season along with the change of forage from grazing to mostly hay.

What type of hay are you feeding? Some cuts may have high levels of clover or mixed legumes, sometimes this triggers loose stool.
    If you’re really concerned you can do a couple weeks of ulcer guard, or even straight gastro guard for a week. Did your vet do a fecal?

Beth

Theloggerswife
    Participant

Right now I am feeding first cut off our farm. We put up our own feed for the horses and our highland beef. So, I know it is good quality feed. They did have free choice to a round bale. I have changed that now. I am feeding them twice a day in the barn a limiting the amount they eat. I was afraid they may have over dosed on the hay????

I will try the probiotics and see if this makes a difference. My vet suggested doing a fecal in two weeks, since I just rewormed.

Thanks you.

PestoPower
    Participant

I’ve known a few horses that would stand at a round bale and eat till it was gone :p
    Technically a horse cannot eat to much hay. Their digestive system is designed to work in an animal that is constantly grazing. Though I do feel horses can over eat. I ration my barn, depends on animal, condition and whether they are easy keepers or not.
    I only worry if they are eating a lot of legumes. No worries with 1st cut grass

Try the probiotics. It won’t hurt them and it might help
    Beth

Jean
    Participant

She posted that in December.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.