How do I tell if my pony doesn’t see well

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Animal Health Livestock Husbandry How do I tell if my pony doesn’t see well

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Baystatetom
    Participant

I am sure he is not blind however I have noticed my daughters pony will not come into the poorly light barn in the dark without being led. My steers run right in, I thought it was just a cattle horse kind of thing, like maybe they had better night vision. Then today I put the pony’s grain bucket down a few feet from where it usually is and he couldn’t find it. It was obvious that he was smelling around for it and there was plenty of daylight at that point. Either he is the dumbest thing on the planet or his eyesight is a bit off. He is a 8 year old POA gelding. How do I test his eyesight?
    ~Tom

Carl Russell

Sounds like you have tested it. That is exactly how my mare acts. She’s about 90% sight impaired now. You may be able to see some cloudiness, or cataracts inside his pupils. They memorize the landscape so it doesn’t appear they are blind until they do things like you’ve described, not entering the barn, or looking for feed buckets…..

You’ve seen how well my mare works, but I could drive into the side of the barn at full bore. It may not be the end of the world.

I actually had to get the vet to verify for me because she was so functional despite the little oddities.

Good luck, Carl

Jean
    Participant

I have noticed that recently with my older mare (25+, percheron). I fed her on the ground earlier this week because she had pooped in her bucket. I put the food where I normally put her hay. She could not find it. I finally put her hay over it and figured she would get to it eventually. She also bumps into me when I go in to the hay room. At first I thought it was out of disrespect, but she steps back right after she hits me, as if she did not know I was there. It is amazing how they can function with limited sight.

carl ny
    Participant

Like Carl said,not the end of the world. I new a horse that was totally blind and still barrel racing and doing good. They just have to trust you like Carl’s mare does him.

carl ny

Jean
    Participant

Animals seem to adapt pretty well. Especially if they have someone they can lean on. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/25/blind-sled-dog-wows-tourists-in-new-hampshire-town/

Baystatetom
    Participant

My problem is that I am a ox man and have no clue about horses. He was a great horse when I got him but after a few months of giving pony rides to my kids a couple times a week he started bucking everybody off including me. I have gotten better at staying on but I still can’t really ride him. The impaired site might have something to do with it, as I am not experienced enough with horses to be a good leader. I have been walking him a lot in a harness as the first step to teaching him to drive but now I am second guessing the wisdom in that. I got him cheap, maybe I should cut my losses and try again after my kids have had more riding lessons on a safer horse.
    ~Tom

Carl Russell

Tom, you may be on to something there.

I realized the other day that I meant to say that you should be able to test how well he sees by bringing your hand toward his eye. You will not be able to poke a seeing horse in the eye. Also you can wave your hand at him to see if he flinches. For context try it on your oxen first.

Carl

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.