How many acres?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I can’t believe I haven’t asked this question before!

Assuming a small family farm with 50-100 chickens, 6-12 dairy goats, 1 sow plus her annual litter, a couple of Highlands or Dexters, and draft horse(s) on the property. How many acres would a person need on this little farm to keep the horse(s) busy enough to avoid boredom and soreness from weekend warrior syndrome? (The horse(s), not me. I’m going to be sore no matter what, I think.)

Is 10-20 going to be sufficient to challenge that horse? She’ll have to pull hay in the winter, water to pasture pretty much daily, plow the house garden and the feed garden, cultivate both, move the chicken tractors daily, and I’m sure more things will come up. After all, it’s been almost 35 years since I did this stuff.

ETA: Or maybe I just am not thinking of a large enough property?

Crabapple Farm
    Participant

I don’t think acreage is the best way of measuring the work required on a farm. Small scale intensive production can be just as much or more work than large scale extensive production. And there are all sorts of labor saving devices out there that you can always do without, in favor of doing things the slow way.
    I find the main thing that gets me onto the tractor (yes, I have one) rather than yoking up the oxen is feeling like there is too much work to do. So the work gets done a little quicker, while the oxen lounge in the pasture, and then when I have something that I want to do with them, they aren’t used to the work.
    I think if you set yourself up from the start with daily chores that get your horses harnessed and out working, you are more likely to find other tasks for them. If you’ve got any lawn, get a reel mower to mow it with the horses. Make your own hay. Bring in firewood in the winter. And above all, figure out how to give yourself the space to do things that way. Anyone with any acreage knows that there are always more tasks to do than can get done.
    -Tevis

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.