how to start?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    PeytonM
    Participant

Well I was just wondering how you all start to farm with horses. As of right now I have 2 teams and aabout 30 ac off land all of is hay this year. I more or less want to justhave a small farm and make enouugh to pay my bills around the house and have enought to save when im old and useless. I went to school for welding and got a job welding stainless. I really like the place I work just don’t like where its at. Hour 45 min drive one way. I don’t know why but I just want a small farm. First part of April I got 3 feeder pigs 2 sows and a gilt I was thinking of breeding a sow back but I don’t know how much it would be worth. Long story short my girlfriend heads west early in the moring when im still sleeping and im heading east before she gets home. I’d like to be home a little more and be non dependent

Thanks

Marshall
    Participant

I would like to do the same. First it helps to have a supportive spouse, which I do not have. Right now my goal is to work out long enough to get the house paid for but that will be several more years. I am working on getting equipment and fixing it all up in good usable condition and getting the rest of the farm tiled. I hope it happens before I am too old.

j.l.holt
    Participant

I guess get some haying equipment and start..do all you can do. Try not to get to far behind. Some of the same things happen with tractors or horses. Just keep in mind that there is only one thing in farming that needs to be done now,,thats making hay. everything else can wait a week or two.

Paulk
    Participant

Peyton have you thought about doing something to supplement your farm income? I don’t know about your area but in my area portable welding and fabricating provides income for a lot of guys. Maybe you could find something to do in the off time to make extra money. I have been building a small business and working a day job in hopes that one day I can run my business and farm my few acres for my day job. Worst thing is I’m getting to the point that it will be hard to give up a good salary and security if the time comes. Paul

PeytonM
    Participant

sorry about not replying, I’ve been really busy and have been out on the road a lot. I honestly want to just weld at my place building horse stuff, carts, eveners stuff like that.if someone came to me with a large scale project I.E. forwarder I’d be willing to build it, I’d be willing to build anything but I mainly want to focus on horse stuff. I really loved going out brushing my team and throwing my heavy leather harness on the horses and taking them out to do some logging I got a new team and the one horse I took back and I’m looking for a team mate for the mare I got from the guy. The horses I got were supposed to be good pulling team for me, I wanted to pull here and there but I don’t want to team where that’s all I can use them for is pulling I wanted a all around team and that one horse was pushing me away from it,

I talked with Taylor Johnson quite a bit and he told me “slow is smooth smooth is fast” give it time and you will slowly get where you want to be. I know what he means, I just don’t want to go real slow, I want to start this year and get the ball rolling, Hay ground would be great to run with for starters to feed my animals.

thanks for all the help and replys.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.