humane methods of putting down on old dog

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Animal Health humane methods of putting down on old dog

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kyle
    Participant

Not the happiest post, Ill try not to be too morbid. But I figured where better to ask than a group of farmers accustomed to the realities of life.
    My neighbors just called me last night because their dog is very old and some of the health problems it has have started to become more severe. Although the dog is not suffering severely yet the vet says it is likely that due to the health problems it will and will have to be put to sleep at some point. They want the dog to die at home when the time comes. They do not want its last moments to be the vet waiting room and exam room. They are preparing themselves for the inevitable.
    Since they know that I process some of our own meat and deal with runts, etc, they called me to ask if I knew of a humane method of putting it down when the time comes. I offered a gun but due to the highly residential location and their lack of permit this is somewhat unrealistic for them. They wanted to know if I knew of any herbs or anything since I deal with herbal medicine. Although I know of poisonous plants in pastures for livestock I have no idea about using them like this and if any of them would be humane and quick.
    Again, sorry for the morbid post, just trying to help out some friends.
    Thanks

Jim Garvin
    Participant

I’m sure if they contacted their vet that he/she would agree to come to their house to euthanize the dog. I. personally, think it’s quite heartless for the neighbor to ask you to do it for them and to put the burden on you. It’s a difficult decision to make, but it’s really their responsibility to do it…not yours.

near horse
    Participant

I remember reading a study looking at the quickest and most humane way to put down a horse. A well-placed bullet was deemed the quickest (ie most humane). That said, I agree with Jim that the vet should be willing to come out and put the dog down at the owner’s home.

jen judkins
    Participant

My vet offers euthanasia for dogs and cats in the practice for free, though that means traveling to them for the most part. My horse vet would come to the farm to do it. Its very quick, having had to do it many times for an old friend. I would bet they could find a vet to come out to the house for them.

Andy Carson

Personally, i wouldn’t touch this situation with a ten foot pole. I would consider shooting a dog if the situation waranted it, but i would strongly caution against trying anything “creative.” There are lots of ways to kill something on paper, but what if the method turns out to be not as humane as intended, or (perish the thought) does not completely kill the dog??? Alot of times new or unfamiliar techniques don’t work the first time… Not only does the animal suffer needlessly, but now your neighbor is likely your new enemy. People aren’t always rational with their pets. My two cents is to tell them to find a vet.

Ridge
    Participant

Poison wth the herb idea is not humane,They can have a vet or use a gun but not poison. I would not do it for them though. Some things have to be done ourselves.

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

@Ridge 31434 wrote:

Poison wth the herb idea is not humane…

I agree, this could be very drawn-out and painful.

near horse
    Participant

Amen to poisoning. I worked at clinics for long enought to see that most poisoning (ethylene glycol (radiator coolant), warfarin (rat poison) …) is a terrible and protracted way to die.

Euthanizing, in my experience, just involved overdosing the animal w/ a barbiturate – (pentobarbital).

IMO – if the owners are uncomfortable with the pet’s last moments being in a vet office, then they are not good candidates for putting the dog down themselves AND probably not good candidates for being there when the pet is put down.

Kyle
    Participant

The owners didn’t ask me to do it for them, and I don’t intend to. They just asked if I knew an option they could use. They are comfortable doing it themselves and prefer to do it themselves to having a vet do it. I passed on the idea of the vet house visit to them though. Their current vet doesn’t offer house visits, but they are going to contact some other local vets about this. Thanks

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

I know of at least one vet that would give a syringe or some pills to take home for the time; also, many people have phenobarbital in their medicine chest…research the proper dosage and put in it’s ‘last meal’. Not strictly “by the rules”, I suppose, but then, I AM a bit of a pirate…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.