I might need an army…of horse loggers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Scott G
    Participant

I might need an army…of horse loggers.

I had a meeting a couple of days ago with Chris Dahl, the new forester for Rocky Mountain National Park.

Another agency forester and myself were exploring options for him for utilization and disposal of material that is going to be generated in the Park this coming season as a result of the mountain pine beetle epidemic and fuels reduction efforts.

We gave him places/ways to deal with the wood & slash and he has acquired some equipment to help with forwarding and transport.

What they don’t have are viable skidding options to get the material out of the woods. Machinery is not a desirable option for the Park.

I told him I could mobilize an army of horse loggers if he was interested…he was interested.

What I need is an informal survey of well-experienced horse loggers that might be interested in spending a couple of months in the Colorado Rockies this summer. For those of you that are curious, the area it is between Estes Park and the Allenspark/Meeker Park.

I could be very involved to facilitate the contracting aspect. I have worked federal contracts in the past when I had my mechanical operation and work with these folks on a weekly basis, as well as writing forestry contracts now for the County. In other words, I know how to dot the i ‘s & cross the t ‘s.

This could be a very large project with a limited time frame and would need multiple horse loggers. If we could pull it off it would be huge for us and undoubtedly lead to more of this kind of work in the future.

Let me know if you are seriously interested so I can present him with realistic options. Nothing is set yet; this is strictly in the feasibility stage.

I would configure this contract so it was strictly service work, paid for based on time, volume, or acreage.

Boarding for both man & beast would be either base camps or private/govt corrals & bunkhouses/cabins

Think about it and get back to me…

lancek
    Participant

as per our conversation the other day you can count my crew in! I may even be able to bring anthoer team and another teamster and hi s team . Tim

Carl Russell

Scott, on the surface this looks great. My lifetime best buddy lives in Estes Park, he is a packer and a guide. In fact he runs the USFS mule string in the summer, packing for the park service. He also has a big team of Belgians, he may be another good contact for you, but I would love the opportunity to come stay with him and work with you in such a situation.

Unfortunately there is very likely no way that I could make it happen, so I can make a viable commitment to get it off the ground, but I want to know how it progresses, as you never know, it could be an opportunity of a lifetime.

Carl

J-L
    Participant

Scott, I’d be willing to run a team down, depending on the timeframe. My time in summer is limited with the ranch to run but I’d sure like to help out what little I could.

Anonymous
    Inactive

scott g.,
    Like the sound of this, please keep me informed. bob h.

Scott G
    Participant

Thanks everyone,
    Judging by the e-mails & phone calls I’ve received, we have resources. I will be talking to Chris after the Holidays and probably take a walk about with him to tour the site. At that time I’ll find out just how serious he is and more importantly, see if Rocky’s supervisor is commited as well. I’ll follow up with an update in January.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.