Insurance requirements

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Low
    Participant

My wife and I are talking about hosting groups of middle school children on our farm in an educational format. One component of what we plan to teach will include draft animals. We primarily use oxen on the farm and will be doing some demonstrations of the oxen performiong farm tasks as well as wagon rides. We will not be doing any hands on training of driving the animals. Does anyone have an idea of the cost of insurance for this type of situation? Also what agencies or plans should I be going through? I spoke to our local insurance agent and I kid you not she asked what ‘make’ my horse was! I am waiting to here back from her, but wanted to get the opinions of people who may have dealt with this in their own operations.

Thanks,
    Michael Low
    West Danville, VT

dominiquer60

In the past when a farm that I was on had an event we added it to our existing renters insurance/product liability plan with our agent. An event like that would not cost us much otherwise we would not have paid for it. Sorry I don’t remember numbers it has been a while.

Kevin Cunningham
    Participant

We have State Farm out here and I believe we are covered with a general farm and ranch policy. We host school groups, have a public pumpkin patch, CSA distribution site, etc. I believe we had to get a 2 million dollar policy for all that. Honestly I think it is a bit much but I do know of a local farmer who got sued for an injury that occurred on his property. The poor girl cut her achilles tendon while playing on a tilt bed trailer while being supervised by her parents. The trailer was not a part of the farm event, but being a working farm it was there. Hopefully not one ever gets hurt but that is what an insurance policy is for.

Michael Low
    Participant

Thanks for the replys, I was hoping to be able to do something more like what Erika described, x amount just for the event. We may only do this 3-5 times a year. However it does sound like we need a broad insurance plan to cover the farm and the house no matter what we do, and if it includes events like we are planning then maybe it will be more cost effective to find a comprehensive farm insurance. I think State Farm does operate around here, and I will look into their rates and policies.
    Michael

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.