Intimacy of Physical Power & Stewardship

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Intimacy of Physical Power & Stewardship

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Carl Russell

For me the opportunity to be physically involved in the impact that I create as part of my land-use initiatives provides me with an intimacy that cultivates a feeling of responsibility. Whether it is the caress of my hands on animals as I accustom them to our working relationship, or the call of a raven as I skid out a sled of logs, or the sound of soil sliding off a plow, these things draw me physically into the relationships that I count on. This is the foundation for my philosophy on stewardship, and the use of animal-power and associated equipment for farming and logging is integral to it.

goodcompanion
    Participant

There is nothing like the immediacy of it. When a well-made plow is turning perfectly, and the animals comfortable with their load, it’s really engrossing. I always find that when I’m working animals that time passes very quickly, yet my senses are more attuned during that time.

Driving even a small tractor for the same job leaves you quite jaded in comparison.

lynn miller
    Participant

Feeling the need to respond in the affirmative to Carl’s lovely and succinct statement entitled the Intimacy of Physical Power, I am stymied by the technical constraints of this boxed-in cyber-format with the vulgar smiley faces and electronic iconography demanding my compliance. Ironically it all reminds me of the sacred grace I enjoy working with my horse, my dirt, and my humors. A grace which never fails to remind me of my humanity and of the opportunity to join the fourth dimension of tranquil usefulness. I tried but I fear I will not return to this format because it denies me my humors.

Carl Russell

I couldn’t agree more with Lynn about the constraints of this format. My discomfort starts when I sit down in front of this plastic/electronic/digital device. I don’t see this forum as a place for the cultivation of intimacy, nor do I see it doing the hard organic human work that we all have to do to really pull this movement together. I do however see a great opportunity for those of us like Eric, trying to pull together a livelihood of craft in an region where people have a hard time relating to his choices, or others of us who have been working up in the hills for years accepting the stares of disbelieving on-lookers. Now with this forum we can make some of the more regular contacts that we might otherwise experience if we had the communities we desire. We are not going to build amazingly strong bonds but we can take this chance to advance some of the discussions that we end up having with ourselves as we meditate on the leather.
    Please try to understand the financial and time constraints that we had when trying to build this site, and the choices we had provided us this. I think it is very functional for what it is. Let’s make the best of it.
    Carl

goodcompanion
    Participant

I agree that the format has its limitations too. But in the end it is the words, and the people who stand behind those words that count.

I’m glad to see Lynn here at all. Lynn, it would be our loss not to have your participation here. But to me, at least, it’s some consolation that I can always look forward to reading your words in SFJ.

I’m hopeful that we’re creating something of worth here. And I’m glad that this forum is here at all and willing to tolerate the emoticons, et cetera, and thank those that have gone to the effort to create this dialogue.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You all talk like philosophers. I’m lost already.

CRTreeDude
    Participant

I can assure you will not sound like philosopher! :p

Though I am a bit old (48) I find the emoticons very useful. Often it is hard for someone to realize another is joking – the emoticons help in that. Sure, you can use words to achieve the same, but not everyone is as adept with words.

But then again, having developed software for more than 25 years, I might be a bit more computer literate than the average person – and I assure you I am more comfortable with a computer than working with a horse!

Carl Russell

The point of this thread was not to discuss the limitation of computers, nor the value of this site, but to explore the aspects of animal power that can bring a person physically closer to the Earth, and therefore more interested in participating in the system that they depend on for their natural resources. Carl

Patrick
    Participant

I find this format very useful. IMO, it promotes a much more intimate exchange than the other format, where you post, wait a day or two for approval, and then receive multiple responses at once, often missing the opportunities for an effective dialog. I like the mutliple categories, which will hopefully keep things more on topic, unlike the other format, which is more often off topic than on. Did I miss where my use of the foolish emoticons is required? I’ll leave them, thank you, but tolerate them if it means that I’ll receive more of the information that I’m looking for here.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.