Jack Strode’s Mule School?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Books/Resouces Jack Strode’s Mule School?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Have any of you watched this video?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UXSA5Y/sr=8-1/qid=1231388681/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1231388681&sr=8-1&seller=

They take a green team of mules and show what they could do with them in 4 days in harness.

They use shoeing stocks to safely put on the harnesses. And, they immediately hook them up as a team to a forecart chained to a post. Then, they are hooked up to a tractor with an arm off the back and drag 2 large heavy duty tires behind the forecart. It is amazing what they accomplish in a relatively short time. By the 2nd day, they’ve unhooked the mules from the tractor and can take the team out on the rural highway shoulder (still pulling the big tires).

I’m curious how many of you experienced teamsters have watched this video and what you think?

I learned 2 main things from this video: (since I can’t replicate their methods exactly)

1. Do everything in a controlled safe environment first.

2. Have them start by pulling a heavy load so that they cannot run off!

BTW – I accidentally ordered this dvd twice…. if anyone wants one with little use, pm or email me – $20 bucks including shipping and it’s yours!

Dave

OldKat
    Participant

@HeeHawHaven 4613 wrote:

Have any of you watched this video?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UXSA5Y/sr=8-1/qid=1231388681/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1231388681&sr=8-1&seller=

They take a green team of mules and show what they could do with them in 4 days in harness.

They use shoeing stocks to safely put on the harnesses. And, they immediately hook them up as a team to a forecart chained to a post. Then, they are hooked up to a tractor with an arm off the back and drag 2 large heavy duty tires behind the forecart. It is amazing what they accomplish in a relatively short time. By the 2nd day, they’ve unhooked the mules from the tractor and can take the team out on the rural highway shoulder (still pulling the big tires).

I’m curious how many of you experienced teamsters have watched this video and what you think?

I learned 2 main things from this video: (since I can’t replicate their methods exactly)

1. Do everything in a controlled safe environment first.

2. Have them start by pulling a heavy load so that they cannot run off!

BTW – I accidentally ordered this dvd twice…. if anyone wants one with little use, pm or email me – $20 bucks including shipping and it’s yours!

Dave

Hey Dave,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like an interesting video. It is something that I find interesting to see the various unique approaches that people take to training animals. I think the trick is finding one that you are comfortable with and that works for you. Be sure to recognize that “one size does NOT always fit all”. Somethings that will work with one animal, or lots of animals may not click with another.

When my kids were still living at home we used a process similar to what you describe to break show steers and heifers to lead. Not that we had harness on them, or drug tires with them … rather that we started them haltered behind a tractor or a pickup. In my life (former high school ag. teacher) I have literally broken hundreds of calves to lead this way. Worked every time like a charm … EXCEPT … guess what? Two of the last three heifers that my daughter showed would NOT break this way. They would sull, lay down and refuse to walk. I think I could have drug all of the hide off of them and they were simply not going to submit to this process.

My daughter started putting the halter on them (this was two heifers, two years apart) and letting them walk on their own around the pens where we kept them. Soon she would start to hold the lead rope, but would walk no further up than their shoulder. She was essentially “driving them away”, by staying in their flight zone. After about 1/2 day she would move up to their head & within a day or two she was leading them. I would have never considered using this process, but it worked for her; it was far less stressful and they were HER calves. So I guess I learned something from her. Two years later we had an exact repeat with her last show heifer. That time I was far more willing to let her try it her way and it worked again. Point is, don’t get too married to any one process.

Finally let me say something else about training. That is that about this time last year I had two Percheron 3 year old mares in training with an Amish farmer in South Texas, maybe 3 or 4 hours drive from where I live. I have some experience driving, but not training driving horses so I elected to send them out for schooling. He used a similar approach to what you described in their training. He was driving them within a week or so of having them on his place. Not as a team, but each tied in to a much more seasoned and bigger Belgian mare & hitched to heavy loads that they could not run away with. I am NOT knocking this approach or the guys training skills. I am saying that when I got them back it was obvious to me that many of the basics that I should have made sure they were exposed to were skipped in their training.

Since I only have the two of them and no other seasoned horse to hitch to with, I have a low comfort level with putting them out on the highway or even in situations that are new to them. I DO NOT want them to encounter a slightly new or different situation and “talk each other” into bolting. Therefore, I am working them as singles and have been going through the 10 Step training process that Doc Hammill uses to train driving horses. (I am sure there are other good systems out there, that is the one that I am familiar with) Point is; I DO NOT want to take any shortcuts to training these mares because the stakes are pretty high. It could only take one bad experience to sour them for life, and I just will not accept that risk.

Not sure how experienced you are, or whether you live in an area where you can get experienced help (I have none near me), but be VERY cautious about the situation where you and your animals are learning from each other. That may work for you, generally it is not a good idea.

Not trying to belittle you, or scare you off from this great experience … just saying go super slow and easy with those youngsters. You can get in storm before you know it & no one wants to see that happen.

Good Luck to you & stay in touch.

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

No, I don’t have driving experience, but we are joining a local club and I will hopefully find a mentor. I will be taking bits and pieces from lots of resources for training. The good news is that the fjord mules are pretty low key. We will do everything with safety in mind….. We will take a stepwise approach and not push them onto anything they’re not ready for and if we think we can’t do it on our own, we’ll seek help or a trainer…..

Thanks for your encouragement!

The other thing I wanted to say that I learned from the Strode DVD is that it takes lots of work many days in a row to train properly. You can’t expect to spend 20 minutes once a week to train a team! Luckily, I too am a teacher and will have many hours in the summer for training!

Thanks again!

Dave

Plowboy
    Participant

A good friend that used to work with alot of problem horses used to say work them for thirty days straight and they’ll never forget it but use them often to keep them sharp. Strodes mule school if I remember right was for spoiled mules and demonstrates how to take animals that are destined for the dog food can and make them usefull. It is definately a safe way to handle problem animals without injury to the handlers. Strode and Jessup also trained some good mules but I think the video shows their procedures for problem animals.
    Dave be carefull about the load when you hitch your mules. While you are concerned about preventing a runaway overloading can make baulky mules that are no good for anything. The load should be enough so they can feel it and enough so if they pull it awhile it will tire them a little. Take it easy, be carefull and get some help training your mules.Good luck with them.
    Old Kat I was wondering what it was you think was skipped in your mares training? The Amish typically train horses for field work. What is it that you want to do with them? You should be working them at some usefull task all the while exposing them to different situations. Tired horses are good students. Many times I see when folks second guess themselves the horses grow bigger and stronger and they put off working them longer and longer. If they are trained to work the Hammil program won’t hurt but the longer you feed them without working them the harder it may actually become to get them to work. Not saying for sure that this is the case but many times folks talk themselves out of driving their horses.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Dave, First, I have not watched the video so I am only responding to what I read here. I have some experience farming with, and training, horses and mules here on our farm. I am worried about the combination of their training methods with your limited experience. I think your desire to find a mentor is spot on. I have often said that a mentor or essential. Some times they are hard to find. With out assuming too much about the training video or anything about your mules let me give you one example of how different the training may be, and see if it helps you to question what you have learned so far.

When a young (1, 2, or 3 years old) mule is ready(read previous training) to be harnessed for the first time it should stand quietly in the middle of a pen while I approach it and put a halter on it. I leave a short lead rope over its neck. I put the collar on the mules neck, (not over the head with mules) If it moves a little I remind it to stand. I can walk from one side to the other around the front or back while I am doing this. I approach from the head with the harness, making sure to make a little noise, let the mule smell it and see it, proceed to put it on their back, encouraging them to stand while I do so. Finally I finish hooking all the straps and buckles, again without trying to be silent, and walking around the front and back to finish the job.

Once I finish harnessing this mule I will proceed to driving it. I hope you can see the difference in working with an unrestrained animal. If this animal wasn’t ready to be harnessed it would have been very obvious. Yes, do everything in a safe and careful manor. All ways try to give the animal the chance to tell you what they can and can’t do. Please keep this thread going if we can help you with more ideas to help start your mules. Good luck. Donn

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

I am in no way going to use their methods exclusively…..just wondered how many of you have seen it and what you thought! I don’t have to restrain the girls at all. I can touch them everywhere. I’ve had a lead rope up under their tails like a crupper… all with no trouble whatsoever! We are definitely going to take the bits and pieces from every source and see how it fits our situation.

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

@Plowboy 4649 wrote:

Strodes mule school if I remember right was for spoiled mules and demonstrates how to take animals that are destined for the dog food can and make them usefull. It is definately a safe way to handle problem animals without injury to the handlers. Strode and Jessup also trained some good mules but I think the video shows their procedures for problem animals.

They actually say on the video that this is the way they do it with all the mules they train. They’d rather have them untouched and un-ruined. They don’t do many for other people anymore. Mostly they train ones they came up with and then sell them.

Dave be carefull about the load when you hitch your mules. While you are concerned about preventing a runaway overloading can make baulky mules that are no good for anything. The load should be enough so they can feel it and enough so if they pull it awhile it will tire them a little. Take it easy, be carefull and get some help training your mules.Good luck with them.

Good point! We’ll make it heavy enough, but not too heavy to make them balky. We are willing to take it easy. We want to make these mules lifetime partners with us. They are very special and unique.

Dave

josboy
    Participant

my first post….not too sure how to swap info with you?

manesntails
    Participant

I think you know how I feel about “forcing” an animal to work. D’LearyAss, rather than taking the time and patience to teach them step by step, each step building upon the other, until the animal is understanding how to work FOR you.

If Strode uses this method to turn Dangerous animals into Good ones then I’m all for this method in those cases.

I’m HIGHLY against training a green mule in this manner. It’s shortcutting the animal and MAKING him do instead of TEACHING him HOW to do.

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Most would have been sent to slaughter (if it was still allowed). But, they use this method on all the mules….They don’t want them ruined before they get to them.

It definitely is just another way and I wouldn’t subscribe to using any method exclusively! There are good things on this video which make it a worthwhile teaching tool.

Dave

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

The extra DVD I had is sold.

Dave

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.