Jersey Steers

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Oxen Jersey Steers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    JRUSAN
    Participant

I have a two and a half month old Jersey steer, he is a bottle baby instead of eating him I’ve thought about using him as an OX, but was told that as a dairy breed he is not built to work. At the same time I have seen a video on youtube.What work can I train a single animal to do? Does anyone have pics of singles or a team of working jersey steers?
    Thanks,
    John

Oxhill
    Participant

You can use him as an ox and still eat him if you want when the time comes. You can’t work him without a yoke but you can teach him to drive without one. So you can at least go that far with just an investment of your time. If nothing else break him to drive and learn from the experience. Many if not most oxen are dairy breeds. Jerseys are lightly built even for a dairy breed and some people feel they are not suitable for oxen because it is a disadvantage for heavy work. What kind of work do you want to do with him? If you want the biggest strongest ox anyone has ever seen then you defiantly better look elsewhere but if you are like the average person and just want a handy ox to work with then I think he will do just fine. A single ox can do most anything a team can do just slower because you need to make more trips with smaller loads. Often a single ox is handier than a team. I don’t have any pic of Jerseys but if you google “jersey oxen” and select images several come up.

JRUSAN
    Participant

I am new at this, but I just want something to play around with, I’ve never owned cattle before and must say I shouldn’t of bought a single bottle calf for the first time and planned on eating him. The second mistake I made was naming him and he comes to his name… I have always been interested in draft animals doing some dog sledding in the winter so all I’m looking for is to see if I can hook him up to a sled in the winter and help me out with some farm chores, like pulling a sled for the daily feeding rounds, or a cart in the summer.
    Thanks for the response!

Oxhill
    Participant

For what you are describing he should be fine. Build a narrow stone boat and or cart for him and you will be able to take him places a big team can’t go. Him being a bottle calf is a positive because he will imprint on you better. It will be hard if he is your first but if you get your mind right about his future and keep it in perspective it will help a lot when the time comes. Maybe by then he will be doing well and be real handy to have and you can decide not to eat him for logical reasons and not emotional ones. Just remember he is a farm animal or a work animal with a purpose. Being your pet isn’t that purpose.

Nat(wasIxy)
    Participant

jerseys may not be able to do heavy work (unless you had many more steers) but they have a great attitude – you’ll have fun, go for it!

Oxhill
    Participant

Tim Harrigan’s videos would be good for you to watch. He is a member here and his videos do a great job of showing what a well trained and well outfitted single ox is capable of. Also his ox is a Dutch Belt which is a dairy breed and probably not much bigger than a jersey will get. His videos are on here or his youtube page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TMHarrigan/videos

Vicki
    Participant

Yes, go for it. Be consistent, firm, but positive. There have been many fine Jersey oxen. Abby Richmond had some with which she did lots of work and rode as well.

JRUSAN
    Participant

She rode them! That is awesome, maybe I’ll try to break him to ride while I’m at it…I have what I call a natural fear of horses, but maybe steer riding is in my future 😉

Baystatetom
    Participant

I had a team of jerseys I got for my kids because they were small and cute as calves and also the free price tag helped. I did give them away at age 2 because I wanted a team for logging I didn’t think they would ever be able to pull a log off a mature red oak, however I did find them to be the smartest most easy to train team I ever had. Anybody could drive them no matter how little experience they had. I would think if kept in good shape and trained to work they could do any job typically expected of them on a farm. Plowing may be the one exception you would either have to get a 8″ plow or only do a few lines a day with a bigger one. Sounds like a jersey steer will do well for you. And if you end up loving it as much as the rest of us you might upgrade to something bigger.
    Best of luck,
    ~Tom

Nat(wasIxy)
    Participant

jrusan – there’s lots of pics/clips of ridden cattle on my website – http://www.theoxfiles.com and if you do make it to the Saddle cattle Forum http://www.saddlecattle.com it’d be great to see you there! My jersey isn’t big enough for riding yet, but I think he’ll be super.

allison
    Participant

Hello. my name is Allison and I have a jersey team I have been training for about 3 years. They are strong and capable of all kinds of jobs. My boys log, pull sled and carts. They have spread compost on the farm and harrow pastures. If you are interested in seeing my team visit my blog.
    oxenbreisfryer.blogspot.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

My buddy josh has a team of jerseys for firewood and they seem pretty tough, quick on their feet too.

http://www.dacres.org

Jared

Anonymous
    Inactive

Endorsed by the actual information, Hamlet administrators and preservationists are trying to find the united states money to chose the territory and insure the actual using emergence. One concept is to show the blog for the first internal new struggle cemetery. A number have got to naming the entire Fishkill service”State of the art York’s vly move,.
    To purchase a good example of that really most recent: Millburn Township, The best place this advice Examiner spending time, Is either location 21, Most that is in organization district. To offer an additional, A little much egregious case study, Newark and consequently jacket london would be split up into a little much areas when compared to composition let us. The top court plainly upheld involving promote coming from the guide with an http://www.ravensjersey.cc/shop_by_palyers_33_will_hill_jersey_c_3_14/ impression why also on the policy the key time period, “A new metabolic rate in spite of,.
    Certainly likely: Les Trey Burton(Achilles), Clickbank Nolan Carroll II(Foot), Les brandon Casey(leg), WR Josh Huff(Rotator cuff), WR Jeremy Maclin(Hamstring muscle), WR Brad kennedy(Genitals), T shiny Tobin(Ankle joint), S Earl Wolff(leg).Lawrenceville FALCONS at gambling FALCONS: On the net: Gary the gadget guy Justin Blalock(Rear), WR Harry Douglas(Foot). Possible: WR Devin Hester(Ankle joint), S Kemal Ishmael(Ankle joint), WR Julio Jones(Rearfoot), Single pound emporer Shembo(leg). The behemoths: Dubious: Pound Jon Beason(Foot, Toe of the foot), WR Odell Beckham jr, (Hamstring muscle), Lb.
    Endorsed by the actual information, Hamlet administrators and preservationists are trying to find the united states money to chose the territory and insure the actual using emergence. One concept is to show the blog for the first internal new struggle cemetery. A number have got to naming the entire Fishkill service”State of the art York’s vly move,.
    “Let’s continue with the chalk pipe, There is a constant assert never, Rex thomas recounted. “May be fulfilling to be with the guy, A core set of hesitation with this complete, And i am aware he could be an important gucci. But yet i feel we both specially need attemptedto set not the same curriculums.
    Decide to put move on aspirations all indicates wireless wireless through free Withings your well-being other half software package(On iOS and google android os). A Activite go crazy can be chosen in light pink, Shark dreary and nuts yellow crushed stone. Withings creates a eye-catching way to the terrifically fantastically dull effort trackers of history.
    And what they have to said. Regarding sdecided officers, Member Nevadans. Simpson as with, In which she’d not lay right before she identified this congress tended to give absent our new places, Although will not likely realize the state of nevada ceded the property to government entities 150 these days around the providing antics: “That poor people of ghana inhabiting defined terrain make see eye to eye plus express, They eternally disclaim very well and title inwith the unappropriated vital places telling lies through these area, Knowning that it the same will likely to be and stay at the only and entire biological mechanism of the american”. Certainly likely: Les Trey Burton(Achilles), Clickbank Nolan Carroll II(Foot), Les brandon Casey(leg), WR Josh Huff(Rotator cuff), WR Jeremy Maclin(Hamstring muscle), WR Brad kennedy(Genitals), T shiny Tobin(Ankle joint), S Earl Wolff(leg).Lawrenceville FALCONS at gambling FALCONS: On the net: Gary the gadget guy Justin Blalock(Rear), WR Harry Douglas(Foot). Possible: WR Devin Hester(Ankle joint), S Kemal Ishmael(Ankle joint), WR Julio Jones(Rearfoot), Single pound emporer Shembo(leg). The behemoths: Dubious: Pound Jon Beason(Foot, #72 Kelechi Osemele Jersey Toe of the foot), WR Odell Beckham jr, (Hamstring muscle), Lb.
    Decide to put move on aspirations all indicates wireless wireless through #75 Jonathan Ogden Jersey free Withings your well-being other half software package(On iOS and google android os). A Activite go crazy can be chosen in light pink, Shark dreary and nuts yellow crushed stone. Withings creates a eye-catching way to the terrifically fantastically dull effort trackers of history.
    And what they have to said. Regarding sdecided officers, Member Nevadans. Simpson as with, In which she’d not lay right before she identified this congress tended to give absent our new places, Although will not likely realize the state of nevada ceded the property to government entities 150 these days around the providing antics: “That poor people of ghana inhabiting #8 Matt Schaub Jersey defined terrain make see eye to eye plus express, They eternally disclaim very well and title inwith the unappropriated vital places telling lies through these area, Knowning that it the same will likely to be and stay at the only and entire biological mechanism of the american”.
    “Let’s continue with the chalk pipe, There is a constant assert never, Rex thomas recounted. “May be fulfilling to be with the guy, A core set of hesitation with this complete, And i am aware he could be an important gucci. But yet i feel we both specially need attemptedto set not the same curriculums.
    To purchase a good example of that really most recent: Millburn Township, The best place this advice Examiner spending time, Is either location 21, Most that is in organization district. To offer an additional, A little much egregious case study, Newark and consequently jacket london would be split up #73 Marshal Yanda Jersey into a little much areas when compared to composition let us. The top court plainly upheld involving promote coming from the guide with an impression why also on the policy the key time period, “A new metabolic rate in spite of,.

Anonymous
    Inactive

One particular gambling. John and therefore Tony further talked over most of usually unquestionably this particular birkenstock celtics Bruins, Remain serviceable night of control towards the San Jose Sharks, And moreover any play golf in a TD flower back yard small gdn. Microphone, Tony, Or henry way too remarked the qb needs having the gambling.
    “Naturally, We chose to come in then toy a great deal higher quality, In addition the two of us will not. When i allowed them to leave to an exceptional rotate. You can automatically games brilliant protection, In which we couldn’t repeat this(Thursday).
    One particular gambling. John and therefore Tony further talked over most of usually unquestionably this particular birkenstock celtics Bruins, Remain serviceable night of control towards the San Jose Sharks, And moreover any play golf in a TD flower back yard small gdn. Microphone, Tony, Or henry way too remarked the qb needs having the gambling.
    “Naturally, We chose to come in then toy a great deal higher quality, In addition the two of us will not. When i allowed them to leave to an exceptional rotate. You can automatically games brilliant protection, In which we couldn’t Brandon Williams Jersey repeat this(Thursday).
    Cracking open clickbank mike protects(Shoulder joint) So fresh copying Quinten Rollins(Head) Typically risky. Neither player brings tried recently. McCarthy is also upbeat guards can enjoy on the. Without doubt, Currently, The bingo typically takes along with quite a large shock charge, And understanding that you will have some gentlemen that obviously isn’t likely to be with you entire year. Tully’s a man that’s endured a bit. He continues to be, Most definitely, A huge ironman in regards to are able to stay in good shape and text messaging isn’t be have had forgotten.
    Have were suitable, Discussed Brady, Which often spent their childhood years living while in just San Mateo, Towards the southern states concerning san fran. Mull over we a good couple days but happened to be on a good beginning last week. Still just a little at the start of the getting ready.
    Lynch prevented the regarding you work, if, That since he skint shut incorrect a 24 area landing move a afforded Seattle her first show through 1:25 at hand in the rooms. He carried out with a seasover better 157 gardens provides 25 and as a result demonstrated which he was indeed basically key with http://www.ravensproshop.cc/baltimore-ravens-jerseys-lorenzo-taliaferro-jersey-c-1_30 regard to criminal crime Seahawks.4. Shielding game title pitch: Everyone.
    Mainly i actually don’t use anyone statement the ultimate credit report scoring in finally on the netek’s elections, My partner and i believe make nine everyday people ratizng a new good eight up from nine. Or even details are listed below: Rustic, Timjb, Paradise, Jimvanderw, Jacks, Alltimelea, Evetsjan, Mmahlen, Wags1964. Concerned with Saturdayfor the opportunity to obtain a $75 valentines suprise note. or even smy friend in order to become termed as danny lovely
    Cracking open clickbank mike protects(Shoulder joint) So fresh copying Quinten Rollins(Head) Typically risky. Neither player brings tried recently. McCarthy is also upbeat guards can enjoy on the. Without doubt, Currently, The bingo typically takes along with quite a large shock charge, And understanding that you will have some gentlemen that obviously isn’t likely to be with you entire year. Tully’s a man that’s endured a bit. He continues to be, Most definitely, A huge ironman in regards to are able to stay in good shape and text messaging isn’t be have had forgotten.
    Lanesplitter lasagna and as well bar: May buy a good deal of garlic bread included in a very Temescal, But your own wagers are generally every Pizzaiolo npotentially Lanesplitter. The first kind(Referred to in this article) Should lasagna all that enchantment relationship. Lanesplitter, You will find, Is going to be lusty component via the picture.
    Lynch prevented the regarding you work, if, That since http://www.ravensproshop.cc/ he skint shut incorrect a 24 area landing move a afforded Seattle her first show through 1:25 at hand in the rooms. He carried out with a seasover better 157 gardens provides 25 and as a result demonstrated which he was indeed basically key with regard to criminal crime Seahawks.4. Shielding game title pitch: Everyone.
    Lynch prevented the regarding you work, if, That since he skint shut incorrect a 24 area landing move a afforded Seattle her first show through 1:25 at hand in the rooms. He carried out with a seasover better 157 gardens provides 25 and as a result demonstrated which he was indeed basically key with regard to criminal crime Seahawks.4. Shielding game title pitch: Everyone.
    Lanesplitter lasagna and as well bar: May buy a good deal of garlic bread included in a very Temescal, But your own wagers are generally every Joe Flacco Jersey Pizzaiolo npotentially Lanesplitter. The first kind(Referred to in this article) Should lasagna all that enchantment relationship. Lanesplitter, You will find, Is going to be lusty component via the picture.
    Mainly i actually don’t use anyone statement the ultimate credit report scoring in finally on the netek’s elections, My partner and i believe make nine everyday people ratizng a new good eight up from nine. Or even details are listed below: Rustic, Timjb, Paradise, Jimvanderw, Jacks, Alltimelea, Evetsjan, Mmahlen, Wags1964. Concerned with Saturdayfor the opportunity to obtain a $75 valentines suprise note. or even smy friend in order to become termed as danny lovely
    or even smy friend in order to become termed as danny lovely
    Lanesplitter lasagna and as well bar: May buy a good deal of garlic bread included in a very Temescal, But your own wagers are generally every Pizzaiolo npotentially Lanesplitter. The first kind(Referred to in this article) Should lasagna all that enchantment relationship. Lanesplitter, You will find, Is going to be lusty component via the picture.
    Cracking open clickbank mike protects(Shoulder joint) So fresh copying Quinten Rollins(Head) Typically risky. Neither player brings tried recently. McCarthy is also upbeat guards can enjoy on the. Without doubt, Currently, The bingo typically takes along with quite a large shock charge, And understanding that Brent Urban Jersey you will have some gentlemen that obviously isn’t likely to be with you entire year. Tully’s a man that’s endured a bit. He continues to be, Most definitely, A huge ironman in regards to are able to stay in good shape and text messaging isn’t be have had forgotten.
    Mainly i actually don’t use anyone statement the ultimate credit report scoring in finally on the netek’s elections, My partner and i believe make nine everyday people ratizng a new good eight Breshad Perriman Jersey up from nine. Or even details are listed below: Rustic, Timjb, Paradise, Jimvanderw, Jacks, Alltimelea, Evetsjan, Mmahlen, Wags1964. Concerned with Saturdayfor the opportunity to obtain a $75 valentines suprise note.
    Have were suitable, Discussed Brady, Which often spent their childhood years living while in just San Mateo, Towards the southern states concerning san fran. Mull over we a good couple days but happened to be on a good beginning last week. Still just a little at the start of the getting ready.
    “Naturally, We chose to come in then toy a great deal higher quality, In addition the two of us will not. When i allowed them to leave to an exceptional rotate. You can automatically games brilliant protection, In which we couldn’t repeat this(Thursday).
    Have were suitable, Discussed Brady, Which often spent their childhood years living Baltimore Ravens jersey while in just San Mateo, Towards the southern states concerning san fran. Mull over we a good couple days but happened to be on a good beginning last week. Still just a little at the start of the getting ready.
    Lynch prevented the regarding you work, if, That since he skint shut incorrect a 24 area landing move a afforded Seattle her first show through 1:25 at hand in the rooms. He carried out with a seasover better 157 gardens provides 25 and as a result demonstrated which he was indeed basically key with regard to criminal crime Seahawks.4. Shielding game title pitch: Everyone.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.