John, nice single horse rig…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scott G
    Participant

John,

Checked out your website; very nice rig.

http://www.plowdenhorselogging.com/2009/10/multi-function-woods-tool.html

One question though, with the snap design at the end of the shafts is this equipment meant to run with only D-ring harness? If using standard harness, could you just use add-on shaft loops and still get the function you designed it for? Significantly more movement in a shaft loop vs D-ring where traces are attached.

Definite possibilities for post/pole, and pulp. Have a little Swede in ya’?

Take care,
    Scott

john plowden
    Participant

Scott – the pin on design is what makes the rig work so well – because you are pulling from the end of the shafts they are acting as the traces and cannot lift or shift – putting all the draft directly to the load –
    I make a ring/pin/short trace for the harness that attaches to the hames – I am working on a simple D ring modification for those that use them – I may make longer shafts with trace hooks and hold backs and see how that works for those that want to use western style harness with it –
    no Swede – just Yankee

Claddagh Farms
    Participant

John,

Do you have an update on this rig for us? I would love to have something like this to work our 60 acres…. I love the arch to bogie design & versatility,and think with an added removable deck & some lumber one could also haul out split firewood with the same unit.

Did you build this rig yourself? Are there plans? or do you have a source for it?

Scott G
    Participant

Check out the photos on the photoplog if you haven’t already. I went back in November and took several pics of John’s rig at MOFGA LIF. E-mail John directly, I think Carolynn is keeping him busy working in the garden now…

Claddagh Farms
    Participant

Scott, thanks for posting such great photos. They are what got me to write in this thread. I am really impressed with the versatility of the rig, and as you have shown in the pictures, I think it would be a great fit for our farm. I wish I had taken the trouble to pop over to MOFGA for that event…it’s only 10 min away!

Scott G
    Participant

You’ll definitely have to make it MOFGA LIF weekend this year then.

Not sure if I’ll be able to swing it this go around; a lttle over “10 minutes away” for me… 😉

Ethan Tapper
    Participant

Just gotta put in a plug for this rig. I’ve used it with John and I think it’s an amazing tool for the single horse in the woods. For a greenhorn like me the two wheeled set-up is especially helpful because of the way it moves and shifts a little bit so that when I hit rocks and stumps (people, dogs) and things it just goes right on over. The four-wheeled option is easy to turn and maneuver. John does a really good and thorough job. When I get myself up and running I’m definitely going to get one of these myself.

–Ethan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.