Jointer Knife Positioning

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Jointer Knife Positioning

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    LarsPrillaman
    Participant

I just got this beautifully restored International single horse plow. I wanted to ask y’all how you determine where the jointer knife should be positioned on the beam. I figure it could be where it should be but I wouldn’t know. I feel like I’ve always seen them set a little more forward. Thoughts?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dominiquer60

I have never used a knife myself, but I imagine it can be treated like any other adjustment on a plow if you are not sure. Get it in the ground and try it, adjust one thing at a time until you are happy with the results. We use trial and error on a regular basis. The Whitehorse 715 doesn’t come with a manual so we just keep tweaking as we go.

She is a beauty, go slow and enjoy her.

Erika

carl ny
    Participant

I probably shouldn’t say anything because I really don’t know. That being said, it seems to me that you would want it just in front of the plow share and just above it. Just my thinking and a place to start.

Carl nny

carl ny
    Participant

And the tip pointed slightly forward.

Carl nny

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I have only used one a little, and have spent more time trying to get rolling coulters to fit a walking p[low which can be hard. I would say it needs to go forward somewhere right over the tip of the plow or forward slightly. Depending on soils, crops residue or sod, the jointer will change the draft of the plow. raising or lower the jointer might improve the draft. Alos in some rock conditions some rock just want to get stuck between the jointer and the plow (shale), and raising it a little in those conditions can help to. Good luck. Donn

dominiquer60

The Canadian Plowmen often use a knife. If I recall, they explain it in this DVD. I don’t know where my copy went but here is where it can be purchased. http://drafthorseconnection.ca/2010/06/walking-plow-teamsters/

Erika

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.