Ketamine and butorphanol recall

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Animal Health Ketamine and butorphanol recall

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Happy When Hitched
    Participant

Hi All.
    This is slightly old news, but maybe not to some.

If you have any animals requiring sedation, ask your vet if he/she is aware of the recall. Apparently the manufacturer and distributors have been somewhat lax in their notification procedures.

The recalls involve two commonly used injectable veterinary drugs: butorphanol, a fast-acting opioid used to control pain from surgical procedures in dogs and cats, and the anesthetic agent ketamine. link

Teva Animal Health, maker of the drugs, distributes to the following labels:

An e-mail to the VIN News Services (VNS) from the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) confirms that the labels include:

* AmTech Group Inc. Ketamine Hydrochloride Injection, USP, manufactured by IVX Animal Health Inc., St. Joseph, Mo.
    * Butler KetaThesia, distributed exclusively by Butler Animal Health Supply, Dublin, Ohio
    * Fort Dodge Ketaset, manufactured for Fort Dodge Animal Health, Fort Dodge, Iowa
    * VEDCO KetaVed, distributed by Vedco Inc., St. Joseph, Mo.
    * Phoenix Ketaject, manufactured for Phoenix Pharmaceutical Inc., St. Joseph, Mo.
    * LLOYD Laboratories VetaKet, manufactured for Lloyd Laboratories in Shenandoah, Iowa
    * RXV Keta-Sthetic, manufactured for RXVeterinary Products, Westlake, Texas

The the butorphanol recall includes the brands

EQUANOL (VEDCO), ButorJect (Phoenix) and TorphaJect (Butler)

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/01/13/petscol011310.DTL&tsp=1#ixzz0cYwVSRfl

I called my vets both large and small, and spoke with receptionists at the small who said they would pass the info on. I spoke directly to the large animal guy, and he was unaware. I gave him the lot number info from the Vet News site here.

Da system, it is broke.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.