Lame mule

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    LaNette
    Participant

Took my john mule to the veterinarian’s yesterday as he was limping around at a jog while in harness on Sunday. Vet remarked that he had never seen a lame mule before. Had to keep my smart-aleky tongue in my mouth so as not to retort back on how most mules around here are nothing more than pushy spoiled back yard pets. My mule was diagnosed with an inflammed check ligament. Guess its the least damaging of the more common lameness issues affecting equines. He was treated and bandaged and then I took him home. Checked on him first thing this morning. Couldn’t believe he hadn’t chewed off his support bandage. He acted like he was proud to wear it. Best part he was putting weight on this leg and acted like he was okay. But, I’m not taking any chances, I’ll follow the vet’s recommendations for rest and treatment to the letter. Anybody else have this happen to their harness mule?

LaNette

LaNette
    Participant

Well I’m impressed. One week later and my mule is moving out fine and with gusto. Must be that hybrid vigor. Looks like I’ll be able to put him back to work soon. And here I was getting all bummed out for nothing.

LaNette

J-L
    Participant

I’m kind do like your vet, never seen a lame mule. I work 4 and ride one on my ranch.

J-L
    Participant

I have to revise my last comment. I now have a lame mule. I’d sold her a three years ago as part of a team. The man I sold her to brought her back after her team mate died and basically gave her to me. I noticed how long her feet were, but she made it to the barn without showing a big limp, but the next day you could see it.
    I trimmed her feet that day and took 2 full bites with my nippers, plus part of another one, just to get her remotely close to balanced. Been working on her since. I’m certain she stood around in his corral for 3 years and hadn’t been trimmed. She’s still gimpy now, but I thinks she’s pulling out of it. Never saw an equine with feet that long in my life.
    She’s a nice mule and I hope she’ll pull out of it. I can use her this winter feeding cattle at the father in laws place.

LaNette
    Participant

Two full bites! They were long.

I once saw a gelded donkey that was running wild on a large pasture with feet so long they started to curl over. He moved like he was on skiis. Fortunately for your mule, he came back to someone who knows how to take care of him.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.