Laminits

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    speterson
    Participant

Hi,
    I heard about this site from a friend. I am interested in gaining information from others who have lived through laminitis with their horses – what they found to be the best treatment options – what the best type of diet they found for an overweight horse – my 4 1/2 year old belgium/qtrx mare has had 2 attaches since July – xrays done – 2% and 4% rotation – farrier and vet working with me to get her weight under control and so far so good (I’m probably one of the few people in VT that dreads Spring (due to spring grass) – anyway – if anyone reads and has thoughts and ideas – please post away.
    Suzanne in New Haven, VT

Plowboy
    Participant

It depends on the severity of the weight problem. Our horses are all a little fat during the winter partially because we feed a little ear corn to them to help fight off the cold. During spring plowing the excess fat disappears and a nicely rounded muscular work horse appears. We feed a little horse feed to all the horses when we bring them in at night but only the young growing horses get a significant amount unless they are working hard. We feed good grass hay about a bale per horse plus or minus depending on the bales. The biggest problem with idol horses is the feed scoop. I know alot of people who grain their idol horses like a milk cow and it causes problems both with health and handling with their penned up energy. Myself I would prefer to see an animal too fat than too skinny but if that is what is causing your horses problems then just good hay and a mineral block with plenty of excercise should help.

goodcompanion
    Participant

Hi Suzanne,

This is Erik just up the road in Vergennes. Nice to see you on board.

I had a horse with white line disease/laminitis. He was sold to me as “a little weak-hoofed but perfectly fine so long as he’s shod.” Those shoes (front at first) came off by themselves after a week of work and his outer hoof was totally destroyed, delaminated at the white line with a lot of fungus in there (must have been there right along, conveniently invisible at the time of the sale).

I followed the advice of my primary vet, which involved wrapping and soaking the hoof twice a day for 6 weeks. But said vet quit working for the local office, and the horse was still extremely tender, so I needed more help. One farrier I asked to help advise me with the recovery insisted that what was occuring was due to my having fed the horse rich pasture grass or grain. I had never fed him anything but hay, and said so. The farrier basically accused me of lying. So that was that.

By then the worst front foot was recovering somewhat but the other front was getting worse, then the back ones. (Horse was still eating hay, standing on clean wood or bare ground) Another farrier said that the horse was just a really hard case–weak feet all around, and suggested I either commit to a lot of work and expense or give up. So I gave up, and gave the horse away as a companion horse. I have a feeling that the recipients did not succeed rehab either and that the horse is dog food by now.

I did my damndest but it was not enough. This horse was 14 years old. If the problem is congenital, as I believe it was in this case (all my horses get the same treatment and feed and I haven’t had any indication of any problem, winter or summer), how did he ever live to be 14?

I don’t know if this will help. Hoof problems are really a bitch.

I will say that I tried those boa boots with the padding inside on him and boy did they work. He was high as a kite and loving life until a boot slucked off his foot while plowing in moist ground. Turns out those boots are not really compatible with plowing, but that’s what the horses are here for at my place. But maybe they’d help you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.