late spring snow

• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jac.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    mink
    Participant

weatherman has a winter storm watch for the adirondack mountains today and tonite with 6 to 10 inches predicted. i suspect this will make the black flies ugly and the mud season a little longer:mad: nothing like the adirondacks…….mink

Theloggerswife
    Participant

Unfortunately, it is snowing like crazy in the Champlain Valley. I knew all this warm sunny weather was a “test” from Mother Nature. One should never get too comfortable with a good weather pattern. It sounds like it will be near 75 degrees again on Saturday! Hopefully this snow kills off some of those black flies! :p

Don’t the old timers call this late snow, Poor Man’s Fertilizer?

jen judkins
    Participant

I actually thought the snow…beautiful…knowing it would be gone in a day or so. But the horses definately felt the relief in the fly population…however brief it was.

Never call it ‘spring’…til its summer, lol!

Carl Russell

Just a dusting here, but below 30. Nice.

Carl

Joshua Kingsley
    Participant

We got a little heavy white and grey slime/slush it was hailing a bit yesterday and now the sun is out and a litght breeze and some warmer rain…. back to mud for a few days. This weather is a shock for those fruit trees that we planted last week. oh well welcome to new england.

Joshua

J-L
    Participant

Snowing hard here in Wyoming this morning. I’ve got 3″ laying on the ground and it’s still snowing. Not unusual at all for us. It’s actually more surprising to have rain this time of year than snow.
    We try to get our hay oats/alfalfa in the ground right before the 1st of May to catch these snow storms. It’s the best time to get it sprouted.
    Back when I was in high school we’d planted 17 acres of oats to nurse up the alfalfa. On the 8th of May we had 34″ of snow. That crop of oat hay was unreal for us. Seems like there really is something extra in snow and rain vs. irrigating water.
    This storm and the one last week have been a god send for us. Might heal up our snow pack enough for a decent summer. Some of my friends are starting to lamb right now though and I feel for them.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

We had 16 inches and no power at 5:30 this morning. It has been snowing all day and just stopped!

near horse
    Participant

Three inches of wet snow here in ID too. Nothing to write home about – normal spring snow to not let you out of winter too easily. Moisture is much appreciated after this winter. Also, just started to see any fly action at all and certainly not those annoying black flies.

Carl Russell
    Does’ Leap;17838 wrote:
    We had 16 inches and no power at 5:30 this morning. It has been snowing all day and just stopped!

That’s a hard pill to swallow after the weather we just had over the weekend. Hope it goes away as fast as it has here.

We only had 3 inches by noon, but it is all gone now.

Carl
    30091_1425765250559_1425617324_1156733_8302811_n.jpg

jac
    Participant

No luck guys…. we had a nice sunny day with a moderate wind, light shower of rain last night.. certainly unusual for Ayrshire ???? but not complaining as we’ll have the usual monsoon weather for the haymaking season followed by rain and wind for harvest time:rolleyes:
    John

J-L
    Participant

jac, one thing I usually have plenty of is good hay drying weather. That certainly is something i don’t envy about all you folks that live in wetter climates. That and the fact that I’m still feeding hay at just about a full rate. Not enough grass here yet for the cattle to go off hay. From the looks of Carls’ picture, that neck of the woods is greened up pretty good.

Carl Russell
    J-L;17844 wrote:
    …. From the looks of Carls’ picture, that neck of the woods is greened up pretty good.

Yep, about 2 weeks ahead of normal. This snow was welcome as things had been getting dry. I get nervous when the grass is already 4-6″ by the first of May. We usually get them out by May 1st, but figure that the grass is really ready for them by the 15th.

I am really curious how this season will pan out.

Carl

Does’ Leap
    Participant

We’ve had animals out for 5 days prior to the snow. We have 3 leaveson most of our grasses which are 5-6″. Now the snow.

Scott G
    Participant

We got a total of 24″ snow from the past two storm systems we had last weekend and the next one just arrived. We are beyond soil saturation at this point. Getting impatient to get back out into the woods so I can kill some posts…

Pretty good greenup going on in the low-elevation flatlands though. Buds will be breaking in the next couple of weeks down low. Willows have already started.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.