Leather in the rain

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Leather in the rain

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    fogish
    Participant

The title says it all. Where I live we receive 72 inches of annual rainfall. I have a Scandinavian harness including the collar. How do I maintain the leather during this weather? Is this situation hopeless and I should just have one made with bio using the hardware and replace or cover the leather on the collar?

Wamoo
    Participant

In the Coast Guard, which operates in a pretty harsh environment, we use Neats Foot Oil on all of our leather.

fogish
    Participant

How often do you apply it?

Ron
    Participant

on water proofing leather harness… any product that has petroleum base or drying agent in it will eat your stitching out and damage your leather. I have a set of harness I bought to prove it. You need to be careful even with NF as much of the new varieties contain drying agents and emulsifying agents which ain’t good for leather. I have used Lexon in the past on really dry leather which soaks in good to condition the leather first and get it flexible first before I apply a weather proofing but Lexon does not water proof it at all. Probably the best success I have had is a natural form of boiled linseed oil mixed with bees wax, no additives.. It will not sink in and soften the harness like lexon but it remains pretty much on the outer layer and sheds water really very well. It does remain slick and oily if that is a problem. I don’t have the kind of rain you have but will do harness about twice a year first with an oil that sinks in and softens and then with water proofing and sealing.
    The NF will work though I have never used it myself again you need to get it without a petroleum base in it. It will sink in better then the linseed and beeswax but will likely need more applications to keep up the water proofing. Good oiling.
    Ron McCoy

Ron
    Participant

Just one more point which you likely know but someone new reading this may not never oil the face of the collar or it will blister the shoulder.
    cheers
    Ron

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.