Let’s talk plowing

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Lane Linnenkohl
    Participant

Thanks Carl,

I have made and have used a three abreast evener for a wagon tounge. The drawback to it on a plow is the two hitch points witch would require me to put a tounge on the plow. If I have to I will, but I was assuming that Eric was referring to an offset evener design with only one point. I may have assumed incorrectly.

I’m also looking very closely at Donn’s bracket.

Thanks again,

Lane

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Lane, I take it you saw the photo from the other thread. if you want a better picture or anything let me know. Unfortunately, the only picture I have from three horses plowing with that walking plow is not digital and is hanging on the wall. let me know if I can help.

goodcompanion
    Participant

Hey, I was totally wrong about the function of my evener that I built back when I was even less knowledgeable about this kind of lore than I am now. It is that one Carl mentioned that bolts onto a wagon tongue. Useless for plowing.

However I have located a nice metal one for plowing but it’s not offset. My apologies for sowing confusion.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I think you have to feed it in small amounts at first, preferably along with something they like. After a while they will clean it up! Just kidding – I have been trying to train animals to eat bedstraw lately and it must be on my mind.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I am kind of far away but if some one wants to barrow this plow for three abreast plowing and you are driving anywhere near Syr, NY. you are welcome to it. I could also bring it to Vt. in Sept. Donn

Lane Linnenkohl
    Participant

Donn,

That photo of the bracket shows me what I need to make one. Thank you for posting it. Just one question, it looks to be about 12 inches long. Is that right? If not, how long is it?

Thanks again.

Lane

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Lane, It is 14″ total. 2″ stick out to the right. I can’t remember which holes I ended up using the most. It probably has an extra hole or two. Good luck, Donn

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Had a go a the walking plow today – great fun. We skim plowed a stand of red clover which we plan to seed to chicory and alfalfa. Per others’ recommendations, we dragged a walking plow behind tractor for the first two furrows to start straight. We then ground drove the team without the plow back and forth until the inside horse got used to walking in the furrow. One horse was a little jumpy when we first hooked up the plow, but settled right into it after a few passes. We actually managed to do a passable job. My hat’s off to those of you who manage a walking plow solo. Tomorrow we’ll disk, spread compost and hopefully get seed in the ground.

George

PS Any suggestions on improving my D-ring harness fit?

Neil Dimmock
    Participant
    becorson
    Participant

i liked the pictures. it sure does look like you did a good job ! nice team, what kind are they?
    I have plowed a little and would like to learn more. i’ll have to get the Farmer Brown video that was suggested.

grey
    Participant

I know I’m months late on this thread but I wanted to mention that, never having seen a photo of drybranch’s plow, there are some plows that only have a beam bridle with vertical adjustments because the horizontal adjustments are done where the beam mounts between the handles.

I have one such plow. It is an Oliver 10 vineyard plow with a wood beam. You loosen a bolt at the back of the beam (nearest the plowman), kick the beam over and then tighten the bolt again.

Did you ever get your plow cutting good?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.