Llama carts

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    bivol
    Participant

Hi!

most of us know that llamas are used for packing, but they can (and are) used for pulling light carts. so i thought they could be a good alternative for short-distance transport of people or goods.

if someone worked a few miles down the road, or went to the store, visiting neighbours, getting firewood, they could use a llama cart.

[IMG]http://personal.smartt.com/~brianp/images/cart.JPG[/IMG]
    i think they could be a good soultion to getting about for less money than a horse, if one can get them.

i found this on a british site:

Llamas are surprisingly tough and can easily pull a 50kg cart with 2 adults on board for many miles, and not just on the level. They can walk, trot and canter between the shafts and reach speeds of nearly 20mph for short spells. Most llama carts are lightweight 2 wheeled steel framed carts but 4 wheel carts can also be drawn.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am an Intern/worker at a llama farm and basically my job is gentleing the babys after they are weaned and training them for shows ect. So one day me and one of the other girls found an old pony cart and the owner said we could work on training one of the studs to pull! So we are in the process right now and Its a lot of fun. We started out with 2 ropes attached to the halter and we each walked behind him to get him used to being commanded from the back and turning, halting, picking up speed ect. Then we started walking behing him with the cart in the other hand so we were atcually pulling it and he got used to that the next step is actually hooking him up but its going to take more people so we are waiting till a day with some more volenteers. 😉 The hardest thing we have come across is getting that middle gait. He will walk but when we ask him to speed up he does a “canter” type gain (not the same as a horse) but its been hard to get him to pase, which is really important because its such a quick grownd covering gait that I think would be most desitable for carting because its hard for them to “canter” in the shafts because their sholders arnt as free. But its been a really cool expearence I was suprised by how many animals could actually pull, and i never would have thought a llama! :p

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.