Loading Log Trucks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Sage
    Participant

I starting to stack up a truck load of logs on the landing of my first logging job. It is medium to nice quality pine. The wood is login to go to Cersosimo in VT, or someone smaller and closer to the job. Either way I am pretty sure the logs will be transported using a self loading tri-axel log truck. As i stack my log on the landing I’m wondering how much i should do to make life easier for the trucker. Obviously I want to make them happy so they keep trucking my logs but i dont want to dump too much time into handling logs on the landing. The landing on the job is a nice open field with good hill for stacking logs.

First I’m wondering if there is a standard length for these types of trucks. I did not pay stumpage, the landowner and i are only making money off of what sells to the mill. I wondering what is the best combination of length to fill this type of log truck? Can they fit a layer that is 28′ long? (one 12′ log and one 14′) Or would I be better off keeping things at 12′ for an over length of 24′ on the truck? Is there any good way to fit 16’logs?

Second, I’m curious about the best way to organize my logs on the landing. I am only pulling out saw logs, the specs from the mills are all the same (12’6″-16’6″) should i make separate piles for each length? are there certain lengths that should get stacked together for ease of loading? I’d rather not have to clean up a mess made by sorting through logs after the trucker shows up.

I am hoping to connect with a few local truckers sometime soon and ask the same questions but i thought this was a good place to start. Thanks!

Rick Alger
    Participant

Best to talk to a trucker first.

But since you asked – What I have often had done is load two half-tiers of twelves on the bottom and put the sixteens on top, but those tri-axles should only be hauling around 15 – 16 tons legally so it may not be worth the bother.

Most truckers I’ve worked with are okay with a couple resets as long as they are not chasing a few sticks here and there so three piles of say 1300 feet per pile ought to work. That’s the way I try to do it with softwood if I don’t have a crane or tractor. The log piles are parallel to the skid road, two or three logs high, twelve to sixteen feet wide. This is doable with a cant dog. You may need to make a ladder jack to get the top layers on. Cut steps in your ramp poles deep enough to hold one end of the log while you crank the other side up a notch.

Good luck.

Ron
    Participant

hi Rick
    Good advice on log piling.
    I am pretty sure I know what you mean but different areas use different terms sometimes a picture helps. Terms like a “cant dog” or a “ladder jack” might be confusing.
    An example around here depending on where you come the term “peeve or cant hook” can be different or the same.It is just hard to know for certain.
    cheers
    Ron

Rick Alger
    Participant

Hi Ron,

Good point.

By “cant dog” I mean peavey.

By “ladder jack” I mean a pair of poles used as a ramp to roll logs onto a pile. Each pole has pockets cut into the top face every foot or so allowing you to alternately move each end of the log in small increments up the ramp without the log slipping backwards.

Another reason for three piles instead of one is if you plan ahead a little you can build the piles so that the big logs are on the bottom –

Baystatetom
    Participant

The proper organization of a landing site is an area I need work in as well. I am always thinking of how I should have done it after its too late.
    Hopefully my current project will wrap up this week, then maybe I can swing by and say hello.
    ~Tom

Tyler Sage
    Participant

That would be awesome tom, I’m login to give you a call in the next few days with some questions.

My first load is login to lashway. They take 10′ to 16′. i have only one pile of all mixed lengths. After doing this i realize that the pile will be annoying to sort through while loading. After the first load gets shipped i will reorganize into to two piles, the trucker i hope to use can take 24′, i will sort 10′ and 12’s in one pile and 14 and 16 in another, this way the trucker can double up the 12 and add a layer of 16 or 14 on top.

Any ideas on how far the reach is on a standard tri axle? i have been stacking as high as i can get them in hopes of not having to move logs behind when the trucker shows up.

Tyler Sage
    Participant

After shipping three loads to the mill i have settled on a way to manage my landing. The landing is a field that runs along a dirt road that is plowed regularly. There is a slight down hill slope from the field to the edge of the road. There a foe trees at the edge of the road spaced about 30′ apart. After talking with the trucking and seeing how far he could reach with his grapple i have started making two piles, one pile of 10 and 12 foot logs and the other of 14 and 16 foot logs. The mill prefers the longer logs so i have been trying to cut things longer, this keep my 10 to 12′ log pile pretty small, i stack that pile by hand. The long log pile gets pretty big and hard to stack by hand especially when the logs are icy. I have mounted a pully on a tree at the back center of the pile so that i can hook in the middle of the log and pull it up the rails onto the pile. Its hard work for the horses and sometimes the logs get a little crooked but they get onto the top of the pile. Its been working pretty well. i have a nice schedule of cutting for one full day then bringing the horses for the next two days and i can get about 6mbf on the landing. Its nice have a short 400ft skid! I have been trying to get just a little more than the truck can fit stacked up because once the truck comes i have to re-stack all the logs. I end up stockpiling logs up the hill to once i re-set my landing i can start my stack again.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Do you have any pictures of your piling setup?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.