Log Handling

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

A problem with hand loading large hardwood logs is the amount of taper. The big end likes to get ahead and then rolls between the ramp poles and there it lays needing some more power to get it on the truck.

I agree that the addition of hydraulics being a component of modern horse logging.

I think the gin pole idea we discussed here once has some merit. It would be interesting to fabricate something on this order from metal components with modern roller bearing pulleys and wire rope. Someone sent me a copy of some historical information about Gin Poles if anyone is interested.

~

Carl Russell

I have used a gin pole set up for loading sleds and rotating logs end-for-end on my saw mill. It was a very simple set-up. I sharpened the end of a pole and set it into the ground at the base of a tree, between the flair of two roots. Then I climbed the tree and attached a chain at about 20′. Lifting the end of the pole to be about 15′ above the ground, I hung a come-along from it. (I also made one for building my house that had a boom operated with a block and tackle.)

This style only has about 90 degree movement, ie. from pile next to sled or truck, then onto sled or truck. It is slow, but steady, and it works, and it eliminates the fallen log effect that Jason mentioned.

As far as rolling logs with taper, it really doesn’t take that much to slide the small end ahead to realign them before they fall through. If rolling with chain or rope it helps to wrap all the way around at least once, so that one end doesn’t get ahead of the other. I have also wrapped chain around a log that I rolled by hand, putting the peavey hook into a link to roll frozen hardwood logs in the winter.

Carl

Rick Alger
    Participant

I like the concept of the gin pole.

But the one I saw in action back in the day was slow and took three men. One hooked tongs on the log and steered it to the truck with a pick pole, one ran the winch, and the third was in the body to settle the log in and send the tongs back.

One man with hydraulics can do it all, and do it much faster.

Scott G
    Participant

Rick,

When I loaded with a skidsteer I had a brush/log grapple on it. That way I had total control of the load until I placed it in the bunks. With posts I would often have one of my guys crawl up on the load with a sledge to give the rogue posts a ‘love tap’ to even the ends. Not much effort though…

As far as rolling logs on skids off the cut bank unto the truck/trailer; I usually put the small end a little downhill to make up for the gain. Usually just doing it by ‘eyeball’ works, having to do some adjustment on the load with a peavey is a given.

Every once in a while though one pops off one skid and onto the ground. Inevitably it ends up being wedged between the trailer tires and the bank.

As Jason mentioned, it is a wretched bummer when you are staring at a big pumpkin on the ground with no where to go with it. Kinda’ brings the whole process down and inevitably happens at the end of the day.

I had one this past summer that somehow got between the tandems and under the trailer. Nothing like doing a bore cut between two tires…

That is definitely the exception rather than the rule though.

God bless hydraulics…

Scott G
    Participant

Listed below is a link for a trailer that serves as a great example for what I was mentioning.

Not much money ($8,900 negotiable) and can sit roadside/landing to be directly loaded by forwarder. Not trucker dependent and you are in a better position to negotiate hauling as any roadworthy semi can haul it, dependent on what type of roads you are coming out of.

The beauty of a true CTL system….

http://www.rockanddirt.com/trailers-for-sale/invnum=3052892

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.