Log Houses/Timber Framing etc.

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Books/Resouces Log Houses/Timber Framing etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ChrisB
    Participant

Can anyone recommend books on building a log house/ timber frame homes from scratch? I am very interested in this, and while I am saving for my place, I can at least do some planning.
    Thanks Everyone,
    Chris

PhilG
    Participant

Building the Timber Frame House, By Tedd Benson. I think its his first book in 1980 , Great book I still reference it after doing this for 18 -19 years, Log books are hit and miss , I kind of like the B Alen Mackey (? spelling)one ,he makes scribes also and they are awesome, there are a lot of settling issues with log houses to be aware of regarding doors , windows, stairs, lofts, any connections to interior walls… so be sure to learn all about that if you go the log rout, Log post and beam is nice,(relatively)simple and bombproof
    Phil

ChrisB
    Participant

Thank you Phil. I know this is going to be an idiotic question. But what is a log post and beam construction? Now I am going to have to dig and see where I can find this book. Do you build log houses or timber frame?
    thanks,
    Chris

blue80
    Participant

Don’t forget than any structure well done has a good foundation. Research a little and then find a local reputable builder who is using ICF’s and volunteer on a job or two, and its easy for handy people to pour their own foundations properly.
    Happy to help with advice/support if needed,
    Kevin
    http://www.icfinstall.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.