Logging Arch

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Carl Russell

I have detailed plans for the Barden style log arch/cart…. as pdf or I can get them printed out. There are 12 detailed pages including pictures and mechanical drawings. I’ll attach a few examples below….

I would like to find a way for modest fees to be used to the benefit of DAPNet. I think Les was charging $10/set. They are easily worth that much. What do you think? $20?

I haven’t worked out the details with Donn yet, but if you sent a check made out to DAPNet, I would send you the plans, and the check on to Reva.

Carl

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Carl Russell.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Great, Thanks Carl, should I send the check to the Macintosh Hill address from your website?

Thanks Again

Carl Russell

Yes, 341 MacIntosh Hill Rd, Randolph, VT 05060

Michel Boulay
    Participant

Hi Carl, would I be able to do the same?

Mike

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Great Thanks Carl, The check is in the mail.

Carl Russell

Yes Mike you can.

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

I have had several request for PiggyBack arches over the last few months but have been out of stock. Well the steel, hooks and bolts are ordered and I hope to have them ready to go by the first week in January, especially if this March weather continues.
    Thanks,
    Mark

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I just met Karl Pfister yesterday and it sounds like I am going to be buying a team from him. He showed me the piggy back arch that you had made for him and he will let me try it out for a little while to see if it might work for my needs. He says he really like the way it works!

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Carl did you ever get my Check?

Tyler Sage
    Participant

Logging arch update and pictures:

This very loosley is based on the plans available from Jason Rutledge at Healing Harvest Forest Foundation. A few changes were made to improve strength and durability, these changes did add more weight but hopefully it will be worth it in the long run. One downfall in strengthening the frame was loosing about four inches of clearance below the point where logs are hitched. This lack of clearance will only effect logs over 28″ in diameter. An added feature is the removable tow bar across the back of the arch. This will make the arch more versatile as a forecart.

Will give more details once the arch gets painted and into the woods.

not sure why some of the images got rotated…

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Tyler Sage.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Tyler Sage.
    Attachments:
    Carl Russell

Yes Jared, I have been busy in the woods and only today had a few minutes in town to get a copy in the mail. Sorry for the delay.?

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Tyler, very fine work. Your construction and welding is impeccable. Your curved bracing is a really nice detail and the step is great. I also like that you built on a dash. A lot of the Rutledge carts I have seen have no dash in front. More often than not I am driving with one hand and holding on to the dash with the other (I drive standing).

How are you going to release your logs? Why not build in a trip device? If you still have it in your shop, building a holder for your saw is a nice feature as well as a welded loop for your wedge pounder. I also have welded on lots of extra hooks in various places on my cart for chains, chaps, wedges, pack, etc.

Happy logging.

George

Attachments:
    Carl Russell

The way I see Tyler’s hitch, it will work pretty well as it is built. If you notice the bar with slots is positioned in the center of the square bar, not along one edge. In this manner, the chain will not be hanging directly down into the slot, but will be pulling almost perpendicular so that the bitter end onlf the choker can be snapped up out of the slot, not unlike a Barden hitch. If it doesn’t work smoothly a bit of prying with the peavey will accomplished the release. In the case that doesn’t work a piece of 3/8-1/2″ rebar welded along the edge of the square beam will increase the effectiveness of such a release.

Great job Tyler, Carl

Tyler Sage
    Participant

For the record, I actually only ran about 8 inches of weld on the project, the whole thing has been a collaboration between myself, Lauren Bruns, and Mike Bruns, Mike has an incredible metal fabrication shop up in Maine. Mike and I worked out the design using my limited experience logging and his experience in metal fabrication. Lauren and I cut all the steel and she and Mike welded it all together. Together we got the whole thing put together in 2 12ish hour days.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought about doing a release systems but had limited time in the shop to figure it out. Also most of my experience is with the piggy back arch where its pretty easy to just grab the loose end of the chain and give it a snap to pop the chain out of the grab hook, thought I could do the same on the new one, i could also always go back and add some bells and whistles.

The thought of logging without that front rail scares me. In the design we also made the floor space bigger allowing for more storage.

Im wonder what people are using for a pole length on their arches (measured form neck yoke stop to evener pin)(to be used with a d-ring harness)… in the future I’m hoping to fit the arch and a team in a trailer similar to what Brad describes doing.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Great work, Give your friend Mike a high five from me on his nice welds.

Thanks Carl, Looking forward to checking out those plans.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.