Logging sledge

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kaspar
    Participant

Hello.

I am a newcomer in the speciality of logging and i am looking for some beginner information. I am planning to build myself a sledge for bringing logs from my summerhouse pine forest and I would like to hear a professional (probably critical) opinion from more experienced mavens.

Firstly, I am a student and right now i cant yet afford myself professional equipment, thats why I am planning to build this sledge. This sledge´s purpose should be carrying up to 5m pine logs (average diameter 20-25cm) and in the beginning it will be powered just by me and my friend (at least it will be fun).

In this winter probably not more than 60 logs. These logs are for building a small saunahouse with a students budget. I brought about 20 logs last summer and this summer i built a garage with these, just rolled them over billets like the egyptians – learned thing or two about balance. Ill add pictures off the (yet unfinished) garage so you guys wont think that I am joking around – the same pine forest is actually in the backround.

Coming back to the highroad… Right now there is a lot of snow outside and i think that bringing logs with a sledge should be much easier than in the summer. Im not clear-cutting the forest, rather im just taking the trees that are too close to each other and need to be cut out, so i need something not over 1.2meters width.

I found some really interesting information about bob-sledges in this forum and therefore had an idea to use a wooden pallets as a frames and two pairs of old wooden cross country skis to build 2 sledges, ill add another picture so you understand what im trying to copy.

I would like to know how would you advise me. Would this crazy plan be even close to rational? And if it would, how would you suggest me to build it?

English is not my mother tonque, dare to ask if anything were incomprehensible.
    Thank you for your attention.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Carl Russell

Thi sled was made by my then 12 YO, with some guidance from me, to be used with his young steer. I think the design fits your description. It is pretty small and light, and could be used by two humans easily.

Rather than shafts you could attach a tongue with a handle for steering and pulling.

I post this too for the runners. These are 2 1×8’s nailed together and stood on edge. The elevated sled will slide better, and get your logs up for less friction. You could attach skis for shoes if you wanted.

Chain logs to one bunk so the sled can swivel under the load for better steering. Bunks are just 2x4s. The top one spans both runners. There is a second below as a spacer and to hold runners vertical.

Took a 12yo about 4 hours to build. Oh yeah, there is 3/4 inch threaded rod across the front inside a wooden spacer to reinforce the pulling.

Have fun, Carl

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.