Logging: The Principles and General Methods of Operation in the United States

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Books/Resouces Logging: The Principles and General Methods of Operation in the United States

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Oxhill
    Participant
    Carl Russell

Nice find….:o

Carl

near horse
    Participant

Wow – that is pretty neat. I read a part regarding trail/road maintenance and never heard of “rutters” tht go out and recut ruts for sled runners after a snowfall and “sprinklers” that water over the ruts and trail to ice it up for ease of load movement. Great pics too!

Thanks for sharing Andrew.

Carl Russell

@near horse 39292 wrote:

Wow – that is pretty neat. I read a part regarding trail/road maintenance and never heard of “rutters” tht go out and recut ruts for sled runners after a snowfall and “sprinklers” that water over the ruts and trail to ice it up for ease of load movement. Great pics too!

Thanks for sharing Andrew.

Rutters, Sampsons, and turkeys…..
    There’s 30+ pages of terms like these….

Carl

398985_10200325957697985_640460108_n.jpg6101_10200325958618008_2135104361_n.jpg

Oxhill
    Participant

I didn’t see that part Carl. Notice it even has a code to tell you what part of the country that term is used. For instance I found the book looking for information on “go-devils”. It seems the term “go-devil” varied from a forked tree used to skid logs to a loose built sled to a two wheeled cart.

I remember some posts in the past about how to chain logs to the bunk. The book covers it on page 158.

carl ny
    Participant

Say “go-devil” around here and you are talking about a splitting maul.

carl ny

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.